• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is There any way to escape Chinese junk?

dougsride

ahh chi-com crap. I threw some of their monkey crap at my last bronco build and it just would'nt stick so I put refurbed original on. My new build will have the least amount of commie crap as possible. I'm waiting til they outlaw us driving these old relics. Then I guess I will be an outlaw.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't think any panels are made here, Because WE don't want to pay $845.99 for a fender.
It's simple, Ge-wong-hong gets $15 a day to punch out fenders, and they can dump the old paint in the river behind the non-AC building, and don't require respirators and they don't know about medical and dental....

Now I'm sure YOU want $48 an hour, 3 weeks off and a 10% match on your 401k, Soooo off the China they went.....It's our fault, we want to pay nothing to rebuild a Bronco, so we deal with it and do some body-work fitment.
Just bought the "bronco in a box", @ 47 body panels for a complete tub (tailgate to grille) Not 1 panel fit properly, a cut needed here, a bend-need-there, and lots of grinding.
Got to deal with it......

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
All this stuck with me because it all hurt. My military promotions were frozen by Nixon supposedly to slow inflation while low life libs were spitting on GIs in airports. Jobs were hard to find and inflation ate any raises faster than we got them. So we got rid of Nixon (who loved the ChiComs) then we got stuck with Carter who made things worse. About then I got married and hoped to buy a home, but there were no affordable mortgages. Those were the days.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
There was some good news in '77, when I bought my new '77 Bronco. I still have it tho it's now legally a '68 to get away from the emissions crap. It's also safer and better looking then new.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I replaced a clutch on a 90 F150 and it was a nice totally random mix of metric and standard.

SP73

I replaced a clutch on a 90 F150 and it was a nice totally random mix of metric and standard.

Yep. Unfortunately that’s the way it is nowadays.

P.S. I love the Dr. Keyes quote in your sig!

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I love my cousin Alan (really we just share our last name). He saw through all the BS.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it junk or "conformance to specifications" they are making stuff to a specification, is it worse than a FORD part? probably...but did it meet the (American) vendors specification? yes.
Tighten the spec, the "better the part....

Cooter_76

I remember listening to a podcast where Jonathan Ward from ICON was the guest. He was explaining why the reproduction body panels fit so poorly. I think it went something like this:
- If a body panel didn't fit well on the assembly line, they set that panel aside.
- The discarded panels were the ones shipped to dealers & body shops as replacement parts. The body shops would have to do whatever was needed to make them fit.
- The current reproduction panels used these replacement parts as their templates
I don't know if that info is accurate, but it would explain why everyone complains about replacement body panel fitment.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
in todays Great US of A it is extremely challenging to find 100% american made. even vendors that state made in the USA still have to rely on non USA suppliers to get their materials, tooling, equipment, etc.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
in todays Great US of A it is extremely challenging to find 100% american made. even vendors that state made in the USA still have to rely on non USA suppliers to get their materials, tooling, equipment, etc.

it can be done though..

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I remember listening to a podcast where Jonathan Ward from ICON was the guest. He was explaining why the reproduction body panels fit so poorly. I think it went something like this:
- If a body panel didn't fit well on the assembly line, they set that panel aside.
- The discarded panels were the ones shipped to dealers & body shops as replacement parts. The body shops would have to do whatever was needed to make them fit.
- The current reproduction panels used these replacement parts as their templates
I don't know if that info is accurate, but it would explain why everyone complains about replacement body panel fitment.
I worked for GM Truck back in the 70's and we would build a whole run of panels and send them through the paint shop and dip them and they would get shipped to the parts warehouse for service. They were the same ones used on the trucks we built.