• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MO Is this a decent deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jch79

Loc.
Saint Louis
I'm interested in buying a classic bronco and my knowledge of them is limited at best. I found this one about four hours away from my home and the seller emailed me some photos that I have uploaded here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21996057@N00/?saved=1

He is asking 7500, says it has a 302, he's not sure of the mileage on the engine though. He tells me rust is minimal, there's some you can clearly see in the photos. He hasn't done a compression test on the engine, but says it has no mechanical issues whatsoever. Before I commit to spending a day driving and a 100.00 in gas I was hoping to get some advice on the price of the truck.

I'm not too much of a stranger to older cars, I've owned a 68 mustang and did some work on that. What in particular should I look for if I go see it? What are typical problem areas with these vehicles? I've got a couple of AWD cars, but this will be my first 4WD. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

FYI: I am in St. Louis, the vehicle is in Springfield.

jperry1290

Just looking at the pics I say its not worth it. I got a 70 EB in California (much higher prices)for $4500 that was in similar shape with a rougher paint job. Do your research before you buy. And if you dont know much about older cars I would stay away from something that is 40yrs old.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Keep in mind 'minimal rust' in MO usually means full blown cancer to the rest of us!:-X Plus if there's cancer in the top corners of the hard top, theres a bunch more he's not showing you. Judging from the fuzzy pictures and no close up's of anything, diamond plate covering the (rotted out) rockers, I'd say there's rust and likely plenty of it...

IF you decide to take a look, I'd also say that from the pic's you'd be 'ok' between $4500-5000, but I wouldn't go any higher!

danielmclindon

Loc.
Palmdale
bronco

Have the guy send you pictures of floorboards, inerfenders infront of the firewall, bottom of tailgate(left sides worst), door jambs and back end inside tailgate. That are some bad areas. If he won't send pic's, Don't waste your drive. I say 4500, 5000. myself:cool:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I would ask for some more pics as well, won't hurt.

OP
OP
jch79

jch79

Loc.
Saint Louis
So I sent the seller an email, addressed my concerns with the rust and told him I thought we were a little far apart in price, tactfully of course. I think I pissed him off. He now says the Bronc is no longer for sale and he's keeping it. The search continues...

markperry

Bronco Guru
So I sent the seller an email, addressed my concerns with the rust and told him I thought we were a little far apart in price, tactfully of course. I think I pissed him off. He now says the Bronc is no longer for sale and he's keeping it. The search continues...

It wasn't meant too be then!

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Saw another one for sale the other day in souteast Mo closer than Springfield guy wanted 3500.00

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I'm guessing the top probably sat out in the weather upside down for a few years. I can't see any other reason for rust in that location.

What do they use on the roads for deicing? The nice thing about Oregon is that they do not use salt. You just don't see as many rust outs in this neck of the woods unless of course it is on the coast, then everything rusts even in the house.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
They use salt in Missouri and lots of it, if you don't wash your car at least once once every few weeks you get the cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.