• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is this safe?

THE_74BEAST

Loc.
Central, FL
I stole this pic from the Bronco sightings thread http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171440&page=4

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is it safe to tow a boat that big w/early Bronco? My boat is only 18' and I'm sure weighs less than half of the one pictured. I would LOVE to someday tow with my Bronco, but thought it would be too scary.

I would enjoy reading your towing thoughts and experiences...
If the Bronco owner in the pictures is a member - I hope everything worked out for you.

Thanks for the pic's FRANKO.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
As safe as this . . .

Attachments

• DSC00095.JPG
    DSC00095.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 231

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Cruising the highway, not that good of an idea.
Using the Bronco as a mule to get up and down a boat ramp, no problem.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Set up properly, the max I would want to tow with a bronco on the highway is 3000lb. I have towed about 5000lb for short distances and non highway speeds. Towing 2000-2500 is not so bad.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i won't tow over 1,000lbs with mine, but that's just me because i don't want to change my trans out again. but no, i wouldn't do that.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
I've seen the same setup from someone here on Cali. I guess it just matters on the set up and the driver. SLOW AND STEADY!

OP
OP
T

THE_74BEAST

Loc.
Central, FL
Set up properly, the max I would want to tow with a bronco on the highway is 3000lb. I have towed about 5000lb for short distances and non highway speeds. Towing 2000-2500 is not so bad.

That sounds promising. My boat "total package" weight is around 2200 lb; however I travel about 90 miles ea way (75% highway) when I fish.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
This was not safe. It was the scariest thing I ever towed. I almost had it in the ditch a few times. It was even scarrier then when the steering linkage fell off on the highway.

and the tank was empty.

Attachments

• P5250151.jpg
    P5250151.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 160

72_EB

66to77
Dude, what the heck were you doing with that thing?! Please tell me some sort of bitchin' BBQ smoker. ;) That's an awesome picture.

This was not safe. It was the scariest thing I ever towed. I almost had it in the ditch a few times. It was even scarrier then when the steering linkage fell off on the highway.

and the tank was empty.

piack

Loc.
Sanford, Maine
I've towed my 20 ft Stingray boat on back roads for a couple yrs now. Not too bad, but would like to get power brakes someday. Currently 302 w. 4 bbl, C4, discs in front.

piack

Loc.
Sanford, Maine
Would you tow it at highway speeds? Say 60-65mph?

I'd be nervous, but it would probably do it. Mine tracks pretty good w. the boat on it. Wouldn't want it to get away from me though.

I think I've been 50 easy enough on back roads.

Stingray boats tend to be fairly light, but it's got the 4.3 V6 in it. My trailer has full size tires on it.

Paul

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I towed my 18 foot bass boat for years with my Bronco. I pulled that thing all over the southeast US. I eventually got and F150 to pull it with and man was that easier... I didnt realize how scary it really was until later. I was young and fearless I guess.

Greg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Dude, what the heck were you doing with that thing?! Please tell me some sort of bitchin' BBQ smoker. ;) That's an awesome picture.

Actually it is a landscaping project. Tank is burried about 8' underground. There is a dry creekbed starting with a pile of dirt (from cutting the creekbed and burrying the tank). A 2HP pool pump and filter circulate the water on demand. When I want, I get a running creek. When I don't, it is a simple dry creekbed. No standing water, no fish, no alge. Flip the switch, couple inches of water that flow more then some Arizona rivers.

A work in progress. I just got the pump running but the water fall off the hill of rock is bypassed at the moment because I needed a good visual idea of the flow to figure how much I need to split the waterfall into.

Attachments

• P1010045.jpg
    P1010045.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010047.jpg
    P1010047.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010042.jpg
    P1010042.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 46

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is not how much you can pull that counts , it is how much you can stop safely.
End of story.

No way would I pull a full size boat with a Bronco , an aluminum row boat = yes , a 19'Ranger bassboat = NO !

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I flat towed a VW Thing from Fort Collins, Colorado to Sacramento, CA back in 1990. That was a long scary drive. I ran about 75 MPH the whole way. I would NOT do it again. My 74 had trailer brakes on it when I got it. I believe they were either factory or dealer installed. I have seen photos of it from before I owned it towing a huge travel trailer. I think towing heavy loads with a Bronco was probably pretty common back in the day but by todays standards its pretty scary. Maybe were all just getting soft.