• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is this to much $$$$ ?

notajeep

Loc.
Kent, WA
I got two estimates today for exhaust. One from a speed shop who will do all madrel bent with performance muffler ( two in / two out) for around $750 :eek: :eek: :eek: the other is from Midas not madrel bent with performance muffler for about $400.

Is mandrel bent worth $350 extra dollars or do I need to be smacked for considering it?........please show mercy.

hlkilby

Loc.
Joplin,MO
Feedback

I'm putting duals on from the headers back. I put the headers on myself. I'm getting dual 2.25" with flowmaster 40 series run to the rear of the bronco turning out behind the rear tires. Flowmasters,pipe, labor to install @ $325.

Good Luck!

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
notajeep said:
I got two estimates today for exhaust. One from a speed shop who will do all madrel bent with performance muffler ( two in / two out) for around $750 :eek: :eek: :eek: the other is from Midas not madrel bent with performance muffler for about $400.

Is mandrel bent worth $350 extra dollars or do I need to be smacked for considering it?........please show mercy.

YES,, you are getting ripped off!!

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
That's a boat load of money for exaughst! The mufflers had better be Borlas for that Money! I got new flowmasters a year ago with all new mandrel bent 2 1/2" pipe from the headers back for about $350-375. It was from a local muffler shop not a chain. I would do a little more looking for a good shop.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I installed my own headers, bought my own SS Flowmasters and then took it to a speed shop and they bent the 2.5 in aluminized pipe and installed the mufflers for $215. Shop around on the mufflers and on the exhaust pipe. Good luck.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
notajeep said:
The only person that should be smacked is the "gentlemen" who wants 350 dollars extra for mandril bent. Shop aroung WWWWAAAAYYYY to much
TOFIC

69Sport

Loc.
ST. Louis
Quick Question

Quick question on the same topic, what is Mandrel exhaust and how does it differ from the regular type. Thanks 69sport

T

tflack

I had aluminized 2 1/2" dual DynoMax's done for $350 in SO Cal. Shop around!

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Basically you have "mandrel bent" and "pressure bent". Pressure bending crimps the pipe slightly at the bend, which restricts flow. Mandrel bending keeps the same pipe diameter and shape all the way through the bend.

Here's a good example pic. Pressure bent on top and mandrel bent below.
huth7.jpg

Maybe someone can confirm this....I don't think you can put several mandrel bends in a continuous length of tubing. Don't you need to bend short segments then weld the whole system together? Whereas with pressure bending you can get 1 long piece of tube and make all the bends, leaving nothing to be welded and possibly create leaks/restrictions.

OP
OP
N

notajeep

Loc.
Kent, WA
Yeah I was thinking that was a little steep. I'm going to call a small shop down the street tomorrow. Also the old exhaust on my truck was all mandrel bent tube that I got in a kit from L&L supply and they were all continuos pieces.

Thanks... I'll let you know what get

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
You will usually pay a little more for mandrel bent simply because the shops with the right equipment for it are usually higher end shops. It will not be to the tune of $350 more though. $500 should get you a really nice mandrel bent exhaust with dual magnaflows or flowmasters. I think I paid $380 but I would not swear to it without going back to the receipt. It could have been $480 instead.