• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

It has been to long, having timing trouble

FFBronco

I haven't been able to drive my bronco this year. Having withdrawls bad. I am having timing troubles.
77 sport 302 2bbl auto
new plugs, wires, timing chain, cap, rotor, rebuilt carb, balancer

The bronco wasn't running to good, started doing a basic tune-up, everything that I did, didn't help. takes us to where we are now.

Compression checks good, timing checked and checked and checked again, chain and sprockets line up with #1 tdc on compression stroke. This is where I start to loose faith with everything. Distributor and rotor line up with #1, however with engine running and using timing light shows timing setting of 10 adc thats right after. Can't rotate distributor anymore because vacuum advance hits radiator hose.

So for everybody running stock 302 where does your vac adv sit in relation to everything else. Again mine is sitting between 7 and 8 o'clock and hits radiatior hose.

Or do I need to pull EVERYTHING off and start over for the 100th time.

thanks

moneypit77

Loc.
forks, WA
that sounds about right with where mine sits (a '77 also). Dont know what to say but have you checked the ignition module? they usualy work or dont and when they dont it probbly wouldnt run at all but maybe. KC

OP
OP
F

FFBronco

ignition module is also new. It actually went bad before all this happened

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like your a tooth off. You should be able to pull the dist up just enough to clear the cam gear and turn on tooth back and drop it down again. Also make sure your vaccum advance is unhooked when setting the timing.

ransil

Bronco Guru
and make sure you are using ported vacuum and not manifold vacuum.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Sounds like your a tooth off. You should be able to pull the dist up just enough to clear the cam gear and turn on tooth back and drop it down again. Also make sure your vaccum advance is unhooked when setting the timing.
X2. My vacuum advance pointspretty much directly at the front of the Bronco.

70_Steve

Old Guy
X2. My vacuum advance points pretty much directly at the front of the Bronco.