• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

It Lives.....Again

polarman

Loc.
Bovina Center, NY
First time poster here. I've had my Broncos for about 15 years. My old Blue 69 has been sitting in a pasture for over 10 years. I got it running this week for a total monetary investment of $20 and time.;D I had a timing chain and gear set that I put in it new before I parked it. When it didn't start after the timing chain replacement, I drug it out back and there it sat. I got it in the garage last week and double checked the timing chain.On reassembly I had no spark.The battery wire to the coil was chewed up by mice, so I fixed it.No spark. I put a condenser and a set of points in it. Still no spark. Then I looked over on the inner fender and saw the rotor sitting there that I forgot to put in like an idiot. Then I had spark. But no fuel. I thought maybe sitting all of those years, maybe the float was stuck.Nope. Cleaned the carb and threw it back on. Still no fuel. then I looked down and saw a huge, gaping hole that a rodent had chewed on the line going to the fuel pump. Bingo. Then I soldered the piss out of the radiator and set the timing. I used it to move a few loads of stone around yesterday. I was like being reunited with an old friend.
DSCN2026.jpg

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Welcome!!! Cool story and glad you got it running. I see a future Broncoholic in the passenger seat too.;D;D

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
That's great that you got around to reviving old Blue. You're not going to repeat that extended sabbatical again I hope.

OP
OP
polarman

polarman

Loc.
Bovina Center, NY
Thanks for the replies. I live in Delaware County in upstate NY. I bought this blue Bronco in 1995 (I think). It came with a '66 Bronco that was crashed for $500 for the two of them. The 69 didn't run, stop or shift. The alternator was in the back, it had a clutch sitting on the seat, and it had no ignition switch at all. The wiring was a mess. It took me about a month of poking at it in my yard to get it going. It performed as a reliable daily driver for about five years until it spun the timing chain.(Ironically, in the parking lot of the parts store) That was in 2000, and it's been out to pasture ever since. I can't believe I got it going for only $20 after sitting well over 10 years. And I only stole one plug wire off of my '73 to replace one that the mice had chewed up. At this point, the old Bronco doesn't owe me a dang thing, but it seems ready to serve again anyway.
I donated my crashed 66 to the auto club at the college I work for. They needed a 4WD chassis to go under an old Triumph Spitfire body to make a little offroad/mudbogger. I told them I'd donate a chassis under the condition that they let me take it for a drive if they ever get it together. They plan on putting a throttle body injected Chevy 350 in it, so it should be a fun and interesting creation indeed.
My 73 Bronco looks like it's in decent shape, but it's not. All of the body mounts and floor pans are shot, but the frame is good and straight.Three of the wheels are seized up. I had flopped it on it's side years ago and damaged the driver door and hard top. The good points are that it has a good running 302 (at least it used to), a C4 auto that never worked right but always worked, power steering, and a Dana 44 front. The uncut rear quarters look good from the outside. I don't think it's solid enough to actually fix up and drive again, so I figured I'd just use some of the parts to keep the '69 going. If anyone needs any parts off of the '73, send me a PM of what you're looking for. It's the Ranger package, so it has chrome trim, a swing out spare tire carrier, and a back seat. I'm trying to figure out how to fund a engine rebuild for my '68 Dart, so shedding some parts off of the '73 Bronco is a possibility.
DSCN2027.jpg

When it was out to pasture....
eb.jpg

The '73 Bronco Ranger
eb2.jpg

eb3.jpg

If anyone needs any glass for a hard top, I have some to spare....
eb6.jpg

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Man that up state N YORK is a beautful place . my wife will be up there visiting her son & our grand kids next month . Wish I could come also . I'd like to see some more of the area.

OP
OP
polarman

polarman

Loc.
Bovina Center, NY
I blew a brake line on Saturday. I replaced it with some line I had kicking around, but didn't have enough brake fluid to bleed it. I picked up some fluid today. Now I'm going to have around $22 into the resurrection of the blue Bronco.
I'm almost thinking about trying to get the 73 running just for the heck of it.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I blew a brake line on Saturday. I replaced it with some line I had kicking around, but didn't have enough brake fluid to bleed it. I picked up some fluid today. Now I'm going to have around $22 into the resurrection of the blue Bronco.
I'm almost thinking about trying to get the 73 running just for the heck of it.

Yea man go for it!! Mine set in the tractor shed for 12yrs until last Dec.I got it going again and like you It was like an ole friend had came home!!

Thumper56

Loc.
Kremmling Colorado
Good job

First time poster here. I've had my Broncos for about 15 years. My old Blue 69 has been sitting in a pasture for over 10 years. I got it running this week for a total monetary investment of $20 and time.;D I had a timing chain and gear set that I put in it new before I parked it. When it didn't start after the timing chain replacement, I drug it out back and there it sat. I got it in the garage last week and double checked the timing chain.On reassembly I had no spark.The battery wire to the coil was chewed up by mice, so I fixed it.No spark. I put a condenser and a set of points in it. Still no spark. Then I looked over on the inner fender and saw the rotor sitting there that I forgot to put in like an idiot. Then I had spark. But no fuel. I thought maybe sitting all of those years, maybe the float was stuck.Nope. Cleaned the carb and threw it back on. Still no fuel. then I looked down and saw a huge, gaping hole that a rodent had chewed on the line going to the fuel pump. Bingo. Then I soldered the piss out of the radiator and set the timing. I used it to move a few loads of stone around yesterday. I was like being reunited with an old friend.
DSCN2026.jpg

Does my heart good to here stories like that. Keepin these old guys going is what it is all about.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Cute pic w/the kid. Time for a bronco Facelift I think ;)

OP
OP
polarman

polarman

Loc.
Bovina Center, NY
No pics for you right now. I have not been using the computer much for a long time now. I've done a little more with the Bronco. It now has some old 32" tires that I scored for $25. I scraped down and brush painted the hood. Did a little re-Bondoing where the front was wadded in badly and the old Bondo was cracking out. It started running like crap, so I did a tune up and rebuilt the carb. Purring like a kitten, I took it into the woods and got a load of firewood. A stick poked the radiator which I have soldered several times. I couldn't get it to hold water any more (a spool and a half of solder trying), so I ended up pulling the radiator out of the 73 by flashlight last night and got it going again. The Bronco that owes me nothing just keeps coming back for more. I have half a mind to find a new manual steering box and put it on the road for the first time since 1998. Too bad I'm broke!

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Cool story, glad you got it running and are enjoying it just the way it is