• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

It's squeeling!!!!

BLU74

Loc.
Folsom, CA
I just changed my belts this past August. Everything is tight and the belts are clean, but when I turn my headlights on, my truck starts to squeek a little. If I have my headlights and defroster on at the same time, it makes the most godawful squeeling sound as I'm excelerating. Anyone know why?? How can I fix it? <br> Thanks!<br> <br> Johnny<br>

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Coyuld be the alternator if the belts and pulleys are fine. Bearings in the alt could be going<br>

OP
OP
BLU74

BLU74

Loc.
Folsom, CA
I replaced the alt. the same time as the belts (August). Isn't 4 months kind of a short lifespan?

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=BLU74 link=board=5;threadid=12317;start=0#91460 date=1039924159]<br>I replaced the alt. the same time as the belts (August). Isn't 4 months kind of a short lifespan?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Not if it's an Autozone or CSK special! lol

hackyrat

How old are the pulleys? We forget that these parts can wear also and we end up not getting as much friction between the belts and pulley as we should have. Quality belts may also help.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
when the pig starts squeeling open the hood and spray some water on the pulleys (mist bottle) if the noise goes away look at your belt (glazing,adjustment,) pulleys (clean, alignment). If that dont do it look to the alt.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
hackyrat had a good point. i have worked as an industrial mechanic, and we used to replace pulleys on gearboxes all the time because of concave surfaces on the sheaves of the pulleys. don't overlook it.

OP
OP
BLU74

BLU74

Loc.
Folsom, CA
What am I looking for when I looking for wear on the pulleys. I looked at them earlier, but I can't tell if they are worn. Also, when I break hard, my headlights and speedo go dim, and when fully stopped, the brighten back up. Is this also a possible alt. problem? Or could it be a voltage regulator problem?

hackyrat

The sheave should have a flat shoulder where the belt rides. The sides of the belt do the work. A new belt has flat sides thus your pulley or sheave should also be flat on the sides. Mine were of course shiny from use but also were not flat. Kind of a wave in the metal. The lights dimming when you apply brakes are probably from the added load. Try turning on your heater fan and see if it dims also. It could be alternator or regulator. Sounds to me like a 3G alternator upgrade which will give you more capacity and get rid of that regulator, would be the ticket. Sure love mine.

MKD

Loc.
Edgewood, NM
Same thing was occurring with mine about 500 miles after replacing the belts. Turns out they had stretched a bit. Retightened/took out the slack and it mostly fixed the problem. But, given certain environmental conditions, i.e., temperature and humidity, slippage (and the squeeling) recurs until it has warmed up enough... <br><br>I don't worry too much about it as long as it quiets down eventually. I can remember hearing new cars 30 years ago with the same problem. We have to remember that we're now spoiled by all the problems that DON'T accompany today's new vehicles, blah, blah, blah... ;)<br><br>