• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

its too cold!

leelandaiche

Loc.
Gonzales, La
i know im preaching to the wrong crowd bc some of you are from up north but we been getting some cold weather here in louisiana and i dont have a top on my bronco! which brings me to my next point... any suggestions on some soft tops that you guys have tried out? yall have been there and done that so i figured yall could help me out. i have my eyes set on the bestop soft top. i see advertisement for it everywhere so i figured its pretty durable. im going to order a top soon along with getting my steering fixed and changed out.... as soon as i sell my drumset. so if any of yall know anybody that wants a drumset... ive got one for sale with a lot of extras! ;D ;D ;D

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Greetings from Orygun ;D Sorry I can't help you pal, all I have is a hard top, but if you search on soft tops you'll find a lot of discussion here on that topic. But hey! Ford put good heaters in these rigs so you got that going for ya. Cheers, Mark

platinumwalk

Loc.
Panama City, FL
I have the Bestop Soft Top on my 71. I am sure it will keep a little of the wind chill off of you but if you want to keep warm this winter I would try to find a hard top. The soft top fits and looks pretty good but is by no means air tight... or water tight for that matter. I paid $600 for mine and within 2 months the back window was seperating from the fabric (basically coming unglued). I live in North Florida so I use the soft top in the summer and switch to a hard top for the winter.

yak67

Bronco Guru
I'm in Central Washington, where it gets pretty cold in the winter and all I run is a Bestop. I've never had a problem staying warm......even with the stock heater, although I just swapped that out for a Mojave unit. The past few mornings it's been in the 30's, and the Mojave seems to put out a ton of heat. I like the Bestop, mine has always sealed well with the built in weather stripping. Assuming Saddle Up continues with his tops, one of those is on my wish list.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
drove mine last saturday, temp at the time was at 37. no top...brrrrrrrr

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
I drove mine to our bronco meeting last night. It was 10 pm when I was heading home, no top,no doors,no brains. It was beautiful , but temp was in the mid 30's. I had a coat,hat,and gloves...I would do it again!Chuck

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
I took my hard top off a week ago to check the condition of the weather stripping (which must have been 32 years old because it immediately disintegrated) and to prep for and spray my bedliner. Temps have dropped from mid-70's to high-50's/low-60's. It's just bareable now, but that top is going back on as soon as I can recruit a helper! My wife helped me take it off and she about broke my back when she decided it was too heavy!

OP
OP
leelandaiche

leelandaiche

Loc.
Gonzales, La
ill probably just go with the bestop. i like the way the hard tops look but they are just way too heavy. i live by myself and i would have to keep it at my dads house. if i was to get a hard top it would have to be fiberglass bc of rust. im not sure what im gunna do yet. ill have to think about it some more. i just need something to keep the inside dry and me somewhat warm!

Flintknapper

Loc.
Deep East Texas
Thats one good thing about a 1/2 cab.

I really believe I could heat it with just a candle!;D

My heater is overkill even without the blower on. Of course... I live in East Texas and it doesn't really get cold most winters anyway.