• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

J shift difficulty

boydknudsen

Loc.
Watertown
Since I got my 74 with a J shift transfer, it has always been difficult to shift out of low range. Lots of grinding and feels like I don't have enough throw on the linkage to pull far enough backward into 4high. After several attempts it will just barely move far enough to stick in. Half the time it will partially shift into high range only to kick out into neutral while driving down the road.
I haven't messed with it yet.
Does that sound like an external issue in the linkage or an internal situation in the transfer?
thanks

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
The stock J shifter is not very friendly. You might want to consider changing to a twin stick shifter. It is one of the best upgrades you can make in my opinion.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
What "langester " said .
There is a back and forth rocking technique you use to shift gears especially for low range . You can't just pull or push the shifter to get it in or out of gear. I've even had to drive in reverse for 10 -12 feet then start the rockin .
I see you have a C-4 ; that makes the technique a little harder.

OP
OP
B

boydknudsen

Loc.
Watertown
What "langester " said .
There is a back and forth rocking technique you use to shift gears especially for low range . You can't just pull or push the shifter to get it in or out of gear. I've even had to drive in reverse for 10 -12 feet then start the rockin .
I see you have a C-4 ; that makes the technique a little harder.

Could you describe this technique?
Shift transfer into neutral then "rock" the transmission from reverse to drive while feeling the transfer slip into high?
Sort of a guess and check method.
What's going on internally that repeated action is the only way to get it to go?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
boydknudsen,
What you're running into isn't so much a shifter issue as it is a gear bind issue.
What's happening is the gear ratio mismatch between the front and rear axles is causing a gear bind with the square-cut gears in our Dana 20 transfer cases. The greater the difference between the ratios, the greater the gear bind. It's even worse when you've driven onto a hard surface.
Believe me, it happens with twin sticks too. It's just that you're not shifting both transfer case levers with the same handle.
The easy way to free the stuck 4Lo, is to back the vehicle up ten feet or so to get some slack in the gears, before making the shift.
When we bought our new Bronco, it got stuck in 4 Lo. I drove in Lo all the way to the dealer. The Ford service manager actually broke the "J" shifter trying to muscle it out of gear.

jduffent

Sponsor/Vendor
Could you describe this technique?
Shift transfer into neutral then "rock" the transmission from reverse to drive while feeling the transfer slip into high?
Sort of a guess and check method.
What's going on internally that repeated action is the only way to get it to go?

I went through this with my '77 Hi Ho Silver many years ago. After a trail ride, it just wouldn't disengage. Every helpful gentleman on the ride with us had their own idea of how to get it between rocking, rolling, backing, shutting it off and rolling it... Guess what, we were developing a twin stick within weeks... ;) It is the easiest of the twins to install and helps 100%! This is what mod is required to install, cutting the flags at the scribed line. You can see how it separates the rails and then you are only shifting one at a time. Until I grendaded the output shaft 15 years later (while running borrowed sticky 37's, I could shift it on the fly at a slow roll in neutral, it was awesome! <3

Suzy

Attachments

• 2152.jpg
    2152.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 74

Quick & Dirty

With the J-shift, you are moving both gear sets at the same time. If either one doesn't line up, it won't go. The C4 complicates this by having enough internal friction to turn the shaft even when it's in neutral. If you don't complete the shift quickly on the first try, it starts turning and grinding. Then you have to shut the engine off and try to get it back in any gear before restarting.

The twin stick lets the gear sets shift independently. I shift the front to neutral while rolling. Then shift the trans to Neutral, and shift the rear to the other range. Put the trans back in gear and shift the front when rolling again.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Twin stick, definitely the way to go. Old sloppy worn out stock J shifter just needs to go... :D

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Like I said before, the gear ratio difference is the culprit.
My gear bind practically went away when I changed from 3.54 front/3.50 rear to 4.09 front/4.11 rear. It's the load it puts on the square cut gears.
But I do like my twin sticks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you get a lot of grinding with an automatic transmission while shifting into and out of different gears in the transfer case, often the only solution is to shut off the engine temporarily. That's the nice thing about the manuals with the clutch to disconnect them (mostly) from the transmission.

If yours does shift, but going into the next position gets you grinding, and you can't put it in Park for the same reason, might as well shut it down.

Paul

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
If you are going to keep the J-shifter this is what I used to do. Before even trying to take out of low range put the truck in reverse and back up a few feet, if it still won't come out easily then back up again but drop the clutch hard or back up hard if auto. If you do this and it still won't come out you probably need to replace your detent ball and spring. I rebuilt my J-shifter on my uncut and never had a problem if I followed the procedure. Good luck!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I actually liked my "J" shift, and it worked well, once I learned how to use it.
It especially worked great shifting between 2Hi and 4Hi. I would just blip the throttle and make the shift at any speed.
My wife actually has more trouble shifting the twin sticks. With twin sticks, finding the front-neutral position can be difficult since there is no positive way to keep it from over traveling to the front-low position.
Needless to say, she doesn't like that I put the twin sticks into our shared car.;)

OP
OP
B

boydknudsen

Loc.
Watertown
I think I'll stick to the jshift with the reversing method. In the flatlands of SD there aren't many opportunities to necessitate 4 low. Plus, it's cheaper and I'm cheap.
Thanks for the education guys, little bit of knowledge goes a long way.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
When you get tired of that J- shifter check out the JB-Fab twin stick. Best mod you will ever do.;)