• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

jacked or on tires for body panel replacement

franzwasmarine

Should the bronco be on jacks or on wheels to change body panels? I am going to change complete suspension. Should that be done first? I have jacks under the rears now and both door gaps are 1/4" at the bottom of doors. Passenger side has original A and B pillars.

OP
OP
F

franzwasmarine

Also has anyone cut 1/16th out of rocker and cut rewelded the quarter panel to make the door gap closer?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your existing door gap is not perfect then? What are you dealing with now for body mounts (condition, height...) and are you certain that the doors themselves have been adjusted exactly correct?
If so, I'm sure you can modify the rocker slightly to get a better gap. Knowing the occasionally crappy original assembly of these things, I would not be surprised to hear one is not quite right. But generally speaking, the door gaps were surprisingly good from the factory. Hence my question about knowing for sure what is at work here before modifying metal panels.

When you say "on jacks" in your original post, do you mean jacks under the frame, or jacks under the axles? Personally I would put jack-stands under the axles, or leave it on the wheels. Any uneven pressures applied from supporting the frame in non-stock areas could give you trouble unless you are very persnickety in how you set it all up prior to doing the body work.
I always recommend installing new body mount bushings and verifying that the door openings are square before cutting support panels like pillars and rockers out.

Paul

OP
OP
F

franzwasmarine

The jack stands are under the axles. had it on new bushings. Was told to put body on steel nipples because the new bushings can compress. Changed A pillar on drivers side. needs both rockers because of major dents. At one point I had the drivers side fitting nice. The door had been dropped at some point so I used a dolly and body hammer and 2x4 to straighten. Then realized the gap changed. I have been shimming by the chart for a couple of weeks. tried ratchet straps to pull in and no luck.

OP
OP
F

franzwasmarine

Just realized when I had the good door gap it was a different Quarter panel. I took it off and put on one with a much better body line that also matched the the door curve. I am going to get in the shop and set the other one on it. The quarter on the other side is the same brand as the one that is on it now. they both have too much gap in the back/bottom of the door. The rockers are off.

OP
OP
F

franzwasmarine

Just measured the dynacorn quarter I took off. It is almost an 1/8 longer then the Carpenter. The door angle above B pillar is not square. It leans in. The A pillar is square. The B pillar is factory. This bronco was lifted high with big tires and beat on before I got it. Trying to see what I should do next. Thank you.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
the factory door gap is wider on the bottom than on the sides. if you change the door gap relation between the door sill and the bottom of the door your going to have a hell of a time with door seals. if you want tighter gaps you need to extend the lower lip of the door with welding rod leaving the inner structure the same to leave room for the gasket. as for jacking, the suspension doesnt have an part with the relationship between the body and the frame. you have to replace body mounts and make sure the body structure is not compromised by the body mounts. it is common for broncos to be rusted around body mounts and the floor channels to be bent sagging the body lines. there is also cases where frame rust under the body mounts compromises everything. Personally I like to start with the bedsides plumb, level and square to each side then moving forward the rockers little ledge level. the floor level. the rear door jams plumb and square to the rockers ledge. then hang the doors.

OP
OP
F

franzwasmarine

The body mounts are in good shape. Should I cut out the factory B pillars and start over to square that up?

OP
OP
F

franzwasmarine

Okay, Used shims to square body. What should my door gaps be front/back and bottom. Bought some silicon bronze wire to add to the door.