• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

JB Weld on a freeze plug????

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
OK had a freeze plug on my '71 351C develop pinholes & start leaking recently, was gonna drive it to my #1 mechanic to replace it, SO, scuffed it & JB Welded it just to kinda get it up there, anyways, seems to be doing fine! I would try to tackle it, but it's in an impossible place, in the middle behind d-side motor mount, could barely get a finger on it. You guys think that jb will hold up, for a while anyway?? I believe i'd hafta darn-near pull the motor to replace that baby!!

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
I'd say if it is not leaking now, leave it alone and run with it. Keep an eye on it, but I've had patch jobs last a long time.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I ran a freeze plug in a 460 in my 96 F250 with a toothpick in it for four years. I would look at it when a changes oil of thought I saw water on the ground.

JB weld will hold and seal a freeze plug a long time and if the surfaces were properly prepared it might outlast the engine. I have seen model A blocks that had the water jackets completely broken out and were repaired by nothing more than glopping on JB weld.

Only bad thing is that when it does turn loose it will be at a time when you are working the engine hard and the coolant pressure goes up and the cap doesn't open as soon as it should. When it fails it will probably take a significant part of the cap with it and leave you with a bigger whole.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That freeze plug is probably in better shape then the rest of them. Every time I get an engine with a bad plug that is rotten, all the rest of them are bad as well. Miss one and that will be the one that leaks a few months later.

Leave it alone until you are ready to do all of them.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
good point

That freeze plug is probably in better shape then the rest of them. Every time I get an engine with a bad plug that is rotten, all the rest of them are bad as well. Miss one and that will be the one that leaks a few months later.

Leave it alone until you are ready to do all of them.

when I did get arround to replacing the one with the tooth pic I went ahead and did them all. They were all bad.