• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

JBG long tube headers work on 91 5.0 motor

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey guys, I'm swap out my 72 302 with a 91 5.0 motor. I'm currently using JBG long tube headers will they work with EFI 5.0 motor that I plan to use? If so I know I'll have to add in the O2 sensors but where is the best spot for the bung? Or do I sell the long tube an go shorty?

Thanks Jeff

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
never!

Longer is better. The short-ies are - are - well just short! They aren't much better than just plain old iron manifolds. If you already have a set of those beautiful JBGs, use them and enjoy the added torque.

Oatmeal

Hooker sells a three bolt collector with an O2 bung welded in. I've read some where that with the sensor that far down the line you'd need a heated sensor?:? --------Hans

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Hooker sells a three bolt collector with an O2 bung welded in. I've read some where that with the sensor that far down the line you'd need a heated sensor?:? --------Hans

Ive got those but mine was from flowmaster, same thing tho. I use them for my wideband a/f gauge.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
long tube

Thanks for all of your input! I figured the long tube would give me better torque but what I wasn't sure if the bolt pattern and exhaust ports were the same. Also the angle of the heads were close enough so I'm guessing a 302 is the same as 5.0?

I'll plan to use my long tube JBG headers then but I have to weld in a O2 bung just before the collector. But I might have to use a different O2 sensor because the sensor is some far down stream in the exhaust sys. to work correctly. Is that true?

Thanks again for all your input!
Jeff

brewchief

I used long tube headers from JBG when I did my EFI swap back in 94ish, I just added a bung to the header in the collector and used whatever O2 sensor a 92 mustang called for, it's been fine for 15 years now.

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
works for me

Hey brewchief, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear! It will make it a little easier then I hoped and I don't have to drop a bunch more money into a new exhaust system when I do the EFI 5.0 swap.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Jeff