• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Jeepers Jamboree

SavageBurro

I got talked into running the Jeepers Jamboree w some friends. Told my wife we could go if she drove. She never drives. Well, she said she'd drive so we are going. Assuming my re-rebuild on my transmission is done in time. Any other bronco folks on here going to be there?

OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

The trip was a success.

All the volunteers at the Jamboree were phenomenal. They put on a top notch event. Everyone was super cool about having a bronco at a Jeep event!

We saw two other early broncos and three new broncos and met some really cool folks in jeeps that have broncos but didn't bring them. Sorry, might have had a bit too many adult beverages at the springs to remember names.

With the already rebuilt transmission (rblt by random dude from out of the area) going out couple weeks before the trip, I didn't have time to test out all the work that I did over the last 9 months. Nothing like trial by fire. Hats off to Jim Taormino (Taormino Transmission and Diesel Repair) out of Grants Pass for rebuilding my trans for me on a very short turn-around time!!

Bronco did reeally well. So far the best functioning suspension / drivetrain setup I have ever had in a bronco. I don't think we spun a single tire and it just crawled and flexed perfectly. Didn't have time to put the antisway bar on and didn't even really need it.

Had such a great time with friends that we went with. Their rigs did awesome as well. Other than having to tighten the clamp holding my ram assist to the tie rod (likely I didn't get it tight beforehand) and my well used ps pump having a difficult time keeping up, nobody's rigs had any issues.

The absolutely coolest part of the trip was my wife driving. She drove from Loon to Buck Island and did awesome. She's been a great passenger for 26 years but has never wanted to drive before. She did excellent and had a blast.

Attachments

• 20230727_074015.jpg
    20230727_074015.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20230731_075130_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_075130_Gallery.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 73

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wonderful report! Thanks!
First pic looks to be at, or near, the Gatekeeper not far in from Loon.
Sound about right? Seems I remember that area got heavily modified about 10 years ago or so now. Just like so many other obstacles being changed a little. Or a lot!

Glad you had a great time. Always happy to hear stories about these big trail events.
Gonna' do it again?;)

Paul

OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

Wonderful report! Thanks!
First pic looks to be at, or near, the Gatekeeper not far in from Loon.
Sound about right? Seems I remember that area got heavily modified about 10 years ago or so now. Just like so many other obstacles being changed a little. Or a lot!

Glad you had a great time. Always happy to hear stories about these big trail events.
Gonna' do it again?;)

Paul
Thx for chiming in Paul. Good call on the picture location. That's exactly where it is.

I was super skeptical about the event beforehand but was pleasantly surprised at how much fun it was. Yeah we'd go again but probably not for couple years. I think we're going to run Fordyce again next year instead. Then check out some different areas for a bit...just to try something new.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Nice Pics.. good to hear you had a great time and the event is still done well.....back in the 90's you had to petition to get in if you wer'nt in a jeep,,,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the stories I heard were correct at the time, way back when they actually barred Broncos from joining.
Primarily due to broken axle shafts and broken steering boxes. Neither of which were super easy to find at the time.
Oddly enough, the factory replacement steering boxes were easier to find than the axles!
Times change…

Because he “knew a guy“ a friend of mine was able to take his 66 on the jamboree in the early 80s.

OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

If the stories I heard were correct at the time, way back when they actually barred Broncos from joining.
Primarily due to broken axle shafts and broken steering boxes. Neither of which were super easy to find at the time.
Oddly enough, the factory replacement steering boxes were easier to find than the axles!
Times change…

Because he “knew a guy“ a friend of mine was able to take his 66 on the jamboree in the early 80s.
Since they have mechanics on the trail help repair stuff for participants...that makes sense.

If I recall correctly they still had to pre-approve my bronco. They were super cool about it. Not sure they would have cared otherwise but having a fair amount of experience and a rig w one tons, lockers, 39s, my own spare parts and tools etc probably didnt hurt?

One of the new 6g broncos had a pretty rough time of it. Fair amount of damage. Couple other new broncos looked to be unscathed.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I got talked into running the Jeepers Jamboree w some friends. Told my wife we could go if she drove. She never drives. Well, she said she'd drive so we are going. Assuming my re-rebuild on my transmission is done in time. Any other bronco folks on here going to be there?

gonna show em how it's done right lol

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Since they have mechanics on the trail help repair stuff for participants...that makes sense.

If I recall correctly they still had to pre-approve my bronco. They were super cool about it. Not sure they would have cared otherwise but having a fair amount of experience and a rig w one tons, lockers, 39s, my own spare parts and tools etc probably didnt hurt?

One of the new 6g broncos had a pretty rough time of it. Fair amount of damage. Couple other new broncos looked to be unscathed.

Glad you enjoyed it....

OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

So, there was a fellow bronco guy that I met at the Rubicon Springs Saturday night. Super cool guy. Cant remember his name. Also ran into him briefly at the end of the trail (tahoe side staging area). He came over to chat and I was distracted and a bit stressed over couple things - If you're on here- sorry if I came across as an ass.