• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Jumper cables on backwards

freeride376

Loc.
North Ogden
My gosh dang brother jumped my bronco with jumper cables on backwards. Battery started smoking. Now it won't even turn over nor do any lights turn on. Replaced battery and no luck. What's next?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Check battery cables, probably need voltage regulator too.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Check the fuseable link at the starter solenod. You may have also fried the diodes in the alternator. Good brush off on your brother.;D

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
Break out the test light, start at the solenoid one or all fuseable link's are blown. If your lucky they blew before anything else got fried. Non of the fuses in fuse box affect the starter. Hope you didn't turn the key on and try to start it with them hooked up wrong, if so you might be replacing a bunch of stuff.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
My gosh dang brother

Hey, watch the language! Just kidding, sounds like the fuseable link, they can be a pain but they are the last safety measure before your EB becomes a flaming ball of fire. Check the leads from the starter and feel the wires for lumps or areas where it's burned or kind of hollow feeling. Had one go once because I had too much crap wired up when I was a lot younger. Blew when I was 100 miles from home and killed everything instantly. Pretty simple fix though, just make sure you repair it with more fuseable link wire! All the auto parts carry it in 3-4' lengths.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
you got lucky, one of my buddy's did that once and blew up in his face. had contact lenses too washed his eyes out for about an hour. i would say more than likely fuseable link as well.

1966bajabronco

I burned my fusable link up one day, smoke poured out from under the dash and hood, burned every wire it was in contact with as well. The replacement now is housed seperately.

It was really obvious something was up. Luckily it happened as I shut the eb off, rather than on.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check the polarity of the battery while your at it. If you have electronic ignition especially a pertronic module you might as well worry about that too.
You just learned the cardinal rule in jump starting, always hook up the cables on your rig yourself. Killing your brother for hurting your baby will get you locked up sure as sh*t unless you have a jury made up of Bronco Brothers no one else understands.