• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just bought my first Bronco

Roli

I had a cj-7 in college and just bought a 76 w/ hard doors and top. What are some of your thoughts on the cost of a 5.0 conversion vs. Just a plain rebuild in terms of ROI and reliability. THanks guys!

Roli Delgado

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats on the purchase. What's ROI? You should become a contributor and post up some pics of your new ride.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Congrats and welcome. Unless you're going the crate motor route, costs are going to be comparable on a rebuild. An EFI motor and serpentine setup is more modern and will give better performance on funky angles offroad. Otherwise, a good carb set up is just fine for reliability. A few upgrades on the stock motor like electronic ignition helps on the reliability front. As for roi, I do this cause I love old broncos - the return is having one of the coolest rigs in town. Like JeepGuy says - post pics!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Congrats & welcome to the board. "Wise" decision ;D

knack

Contributor
ROI=Return On Investment. Roli must have been in college working on an Engineering degree. Accountants use ROI a lot too - but would realize the financial folly of an old Bronco addiction. I'll bet he's an Engineer - cool stuff first, money second.

GnisroH

Loc.
Harrisonburg, VA
Your ROI isn't going to be measurable. You're going to get in it, and never want to sell it.

EFI conversion won't be that difficult, and they are extremely reliable. There have been lots of conversions, just do a search. You can go the cheap route if you already have a 302 block, and just swap out the parts. Or if you find an 87-93 Mustang that's been wrecked...swap the whole engine.

It'll cost you a little bit...no, quite a bit to get it reliable to the point of a DD (Daily Driver), but well worth it in my opinion. The Bronco has so much more class than a J**P, or any other 4x4 short of an H1.

...Even then, some will disagree with me, and say it IS the best.;D :p

4lofun

good job with eb purchase much respect please dont go back to .cheaps they are not what they used to be,and will deprcieate while eb will continue to raise in value.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the habit Roli. As others have said, there's no measureable (in terms of dollars) return on investment in owning a Bronco. It will never pencil out. But the ROI in terms of fun and satisfaction is huge. The advice that I always give to new Bronco owners is to drive it and WHEEL it prior to making any big purchases or mods. Of course you need to get it safe first (brakes, fix anything broken) but if you just start throwing money at it immediately without getting to know it first you'll regret it later. Then, over the long term, WHEEL it as often as you can. Usually those who end up losing interest and eventually selling their Broncos are the ones who just fixed them up to look cool or cruise to the mall. You can do that with any classic car, but Broncos are special because they're meant to go off-road, not just look cool. Wheel it and you'll love it forever.

Dusty

OP
OP
R

Roli

Sorry I havn't posted on this thread since I made it. The bronco is a lot of fun. I am not an accountant or ENG, I'm actually a trainer and gym owner (www.kickboxingandbjj.com). I just look at the bronco as many of you have said as a fund vehicle to take out in the woods and cruise during bad weather or sunny days. I'll try to get pics up soon