• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just my luck..f'd myself getting ready for FFF

tw322

So I dropped the oil pan to replace the gasket...while it's off I figure why not paint the pan...better yet why not powder coat it? Found a local guy for reasonable price and get it back today. In the meantime bought all new bolts so it would go smooth. Get the gasket on and bolted then start torquing the pan on..not too much, 10 ft lbs. Well everything is going good and zi get to the very last bolt and it f'ing breaks off in the block. Tried drilling and extracting and it just won't come out....it got the better of me tonight as I simply had to stop and have to figure out something else tomorrow. I was so close to being done. If not, I won't be making the FFF at Knotts.

Tonka7777

Loc.
Greenville
Just dealt with the same thing myself. Determine how deep the bolt goes and mark your drill bit. Use a bit that is one size smaller than what would be required if you were going to tap the original thread size. Make sure you go in as straight as possible so you do not damage the original threads. After the hole is drilled, use a small grinding bit on a Dremel and start on the remainder of the threads from the bolt, again making sure you don't go too deep and hit the threads on the block. Work around the hole evenly. The threads from the bolt will either spin out in pieces or you can unwind them with some small needle nose pliers. You can then run a tap through to make sure the original threads are still good and clean out any small stuff that's left over. Takes about an hour. Hope this helps.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good luck man, Hope you can get it done in time..

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Man what a bitch! I was on my back changing my oil pan yesterday for at least 6 hours so I know your pain! And after all it was done it leaked out the front.....bad! Im gona try and retorque the bolts today to like 10ftlbs.

I cant believe the new bolt broke. Sometimes I wounder about the quality on my local ace hardware bolts.

You probably have a game plan but ill throw out a few things. First off I love EZ outs. But the size your gona need is the tiny ones and I have had a lot of them break off and that sucks because there really hard to drill because there so brittle and hard. I did see left handed drill bits at Harbor Freight I think. I have never used them but they only make sense. Because your already probably gona drill the bolt out these bits turn the opposite direction which helps unscrew the bolt as it drills. Other then that just take your time and mabe add some heat.

I just hope yours don't leak worse than when you started like mine did yesterday:-[

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
My question is how did a 'new' bolt torqued to around 10 foot pounds break of anyway?
Very odd if you ask me. Possibly a defective bolt to begin with? The good thing is, if the bolt is defective or weak, following the drill out method above should make it a breeze.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Standard off the shelf bolts are crap. You'd be better off with the originals,or get something like ARP's. Good luck.

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
I have had that problem with hardware at work. I've noticed fastenal sells "fastenal approved vendor" and "USA Fastenal vendor" now because counterfeit hardware is such a problem. I had designed something to use grade 8 1/4-20 hardware torqued to the proper specs and they wouldnt torque anywhere close. Switched brands to US made stuff and everything torqued like it should.
Good luck with your bolt, I can't offer any other advice but I feel your pain of having to lay on your back to do it. It's always the simple jobs that end up screwing up the worst.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If u go arp check on the length. I found some of their kits to run short unless you're running thin paper gaskets

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
Depending where the bolt is located, you might be alright without it. You can RTV over the hole and be on your way.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Standard off the shelf bolts are crap. You'd be better off with the originals,or get something like ARP's. Good luck.

X2 on this. I use the original parts as much as I can. New Chinese crap is just that.....CRAP!

Sucks you may miss FFF. Good luck with the extraction.

OP
OP
tw322

tw322

I hear ya on the new bolts BKNBronco And JoshnJulie. That is probably what pisses me off the most. I have seen those left hand drill bits at Harbor so I will make a run there today.

Great advice Tonka7777...I am willing to try anything at this point that has a chance at solving it.

Fairlane514....I also thought about that after messing with it for over an hour last night.

Frustrating that new hardware just sucks so bad now a days. I actually bought them from a small reputable auto parts store on my area but I guess that is a lesson learned.

Tell_Sackett

Loc.
Santa Cruz Mountains
Heat it up with a torch, (being careful not to light anything on fire) ant the take some wax, (candle, beeswax, ect) and push it up there. The heat will draw the wax into the threads and it should come out.

Just be careful doing it. My Dad lit his buddy's Jeep on fire doing this, with him watching:eek:

jmeyer1971

I have used a hex head self tapping and the permanent locktite and been able to use a rachet to get out broken bolts. Just predrill a hole one size smaller that your screw

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Man, I'm sorry to hear it's giving you trouble. I hope you are able to get it out and come down to FFF - would be great to see you there!

All good suggestions above that have sometimes worked for me.

C Saporito

Try a left handed drill bit first, if you only torqued it to 10 ft/lbs it will probably spin out as you are drilling it. if it doesn't spin out use the hole for an easy-out. Did the bolt bottom out? I can't see how it got tight enough to snap without totally crushing the gasket and dimpling the pan first.

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
Depending on where its at, it may not even be an issue. Over the years I've seen bolts missing on pans and it didn't leak. As far as twisting the one off, I wouldn't think it would come out hard if the head twisted off atvthe head unless it was cross threaded or bottomed out from being too long.

OP
OP
tw322

tw322

Well good news and bad. After about another hour of screwing with it and no luck I decided on Fairlane514's advised route....filled the hole with rtv, put oil in and took it out for a drive. No leak out of there but one small one where the dipstick screws into the pan. I will tighten this down on Sat. But it looks like I will be making the Knotts festivities after all.

I will take it apart later for the bolt repair......see you all there!

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I'll be there. tw322, stop by and say hello if you get a chance. I look like this.

Mark

Attachments

• TDS 2014 004.jpg
    TDS 2014 004.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 40