• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just wanted to show off my cage!

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Very nice cage execution.....different from all the rest! I want your tailgate and you can fabricate a nice tailgate to match the cage. The tailgate is an '66 or early '67. If you want to swap, pm me.

Man, only ford fan I never even looked at the tailgate to busy looking at the cool cage nice work!

Dusty

Bronco Guru
What are these for?

CagePic.jpg

Very unique cage. Way to be different! :D

That's a way to tie the cage into the body mounts. The cage on my old trail rig (which is currently rusting in pieces) was tied in to the body mounts like that.

Looks like a great cage, with a lot of hard work and talent put into it. It definitely won't be confused with an off-the-shelf cage from one of the houses. Nice work.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
till ya see one thats gone through the floor......%)

With the tubes along the floor in the drivers area and the seats mounted to the cage it is not going through the floor.

I agree that if all you have is the mounting plates on a sheetmetal floor it should be tied in.

Greg

joe

Bronco Guru
Why would anyone wany either one of those materials for a roll cage is beyond me. Just plain ole welded tube is just fine unless you just like to waste money.

Tying it to the frame is debateable as well.

Greg

VERY Nice indeed!

I think the use for Chrome Molly is, its supper hard so you can use thinner material and make it supper lite. so you can still have the strength but not the weight. if your not racin or rollin then it would be extra money spent that could be spent else where.

And also with DOM... unless you plan on rolling it it would also be an extra cost for the wrong reasons. this being because DOM it equally thick which would not dent or kink in a rollover but is a hellofalott stronger than seam/welded tube. which will dent and kink in the right rollover, mild or severe.

As for tying it into the frame... well just ask anyone who has rolled there's over a time or too... there's no debating that. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

efibronco1

It is all 1 ¾ inch .120 wall DOM.
Yes it is tied into the frame in some way every place it touches the floor.
The front hoops and the main hoop are tied to the frame and my 1/4inch boxed rockers
Those things you circled in red is a way for me to bolt it to my frame via the body mount bolts.
No thanks. I think I will keep my tail gate.
PBR= Pabst Blue Ribbon beer
Did you see the bottle opener gusset in the pic opposite of the Cross gusset??????
Only wheeling and tough truck plans in the future
Here are 2 pics of my spider.
IMG_20110530_191734-1.jpg

IMG_20110530_191726.jpg

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
VERY Nice indeed!

I think the use for Chrome Molly is, its supper hard so you can use thinner material and make it supper lite. so you can still have the strength but not the weight. if your not racin or rollin then it would be extra money spent that could be spent else where.

And also with DOM... unless you plan on rolling it it would also be an extra cost for the wrong reasons. this being because DOM it equally thick which would not dent or kink in a rollover but is a hellofalott stronger than seam/welded tube. which will dent and kink in the right rollover, mild or severe.

As for tying it into the frame... well just ask anyone who has rolled there's over a time or too... there's no debating that. ;)

All DOM starts its life as welded seam tube. It is drawn over a mandrel to assure its shape is true. This process removes material and makes the wall thinner. It is only stronger than regular tubing if the regular tubing was not made properly. DOM will correct tubing that is somewhat out of round. DOM will dent just as easily and maybe even easier since it is thinner. The racing industry specifies its use for liability reasons. They dont want some guy making roll cages from egg shaped tubing.

If regular tubing is made properly it should be just as strong as DOM. People say and believe all sorts of stuff when it comes to DOM. A tube mill will chuckle when you tell them you want DOM because it is stronger. I know.. I did. I purchase over 3 million feet of tubing a year and I thought I knew what I was talking about until one day I was taking a tour of a tube mill and they showed me and explained to me all the processes involved.

Some say that the DOM process add strength by "working" the steel and creating some uniformity in the "structure" of the steel. This is probably true to a small degree but most tube mills tell you it is so small they cant measure it.

I am actually considering buying a tube mill... Maybe I can sell you some DOM soon.:D

Greg

joe

Bronco Guru
All DOM starts its life as welded seam tube. It is drawn over a mandrel to assure its shape is true. This process removes material and makes the wall thinner. It is only stronger than regular tubing if the regular tubing was not made properly. DOM will correct tubing that is somewhat out of round. DOM will dent just as easily and maybe even easier since it is thinner. The racing industry specifies its use for liability reasons. They dont want some guy making roll cages from egg shaped tubing.

If regular tubing is made properly it should be just as strong as DOM. People say and believe all sorts of stuff when it comes to DOM. A tube mill will chuckle when you tell them you want DOM because it is stronger. I know.. I did. I purchase over 3 million feet of tubing a year and I thought I knew what I was talking about until one day I was taking a tour of a tube mill and they showed me and explained to me all the processes involved.

Some say that the DOM process add strength by "working" the steel and creating some uniformity in the "structure" of the steel. This is probably true to a small degree but most tube mills tell you it is so small they cant measure it.

I am actually considering buying a tube mill... Maybe I can sell you some DOM soon.:D

Greg

thanks for the info, I've heard this before, that's why I replied and now i know someone who has first hand experience.

however I was under the understanding that the process didn't necessarily "remove" the material, but just even it out? this making the wall equally thick throughout the tube? i believe it heat treats the material and pulls the tube through a tool cold with a mandrel die inserted in the tube against the tool? this determines the actual desired thickness off the wall, ID & OD?

this heating and drawing process makes the material truer and stronger? Or so I was told?

it its much more expensive but some things are worth it, in some application, don't ya think? "I don't" really know the whole process, just simply relaying some information I've gathered over the years.

and YES! I will be glad to buy tube from you, I can get it shipped here cheaper than i can buy it locally so if the price is right, I'll give you a shout.;)

Last edited:

LoCoFoMoCo

Loc.
Tacoma
Hello its Liam from LoCoFoMoCo Racing, this thread got such good feed back i thought is give you all an update. i offered to make a battery box for the CRAWL Magazine Bronco build and they checked out my website and saw this cage that i built with my buddy darek. they loved it also. fast farward a few weeks, im standing in the crawl fab shop with some of the coolest guys ive ever met building a cage for their bronco project. it turned out great. they did a page on me and my company LoCoFoMoCoRacing.com . i am so excited that they liked my product and had nice things to say. definatly pick up an issue of CRAWL Magazine this month and check out the bronco boild. it has alot of pics and great info from start to finish on the whole build. they did an awesome job and it was an honor working along side outher great fabricators. i'd work with them again in a second. Thank You Liam @ LoCoFoMoCo Racing