• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

KABOOM, my muffler exploded

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
Ok, I need troubleshoot my problem, I was changing the shifting points on my Optishift. Went around the block and heard a loud explosion that even knocked the driver's side rear marker. I was hoping it wasn't the tranny and after looking under the bronco found the muffler wide open.
1.-I think shifting the points on the optishift is not related at all with the explosion.
2.-Last time I drove it, back in May the ignition switch begun to cut off. Can this cause the explosion?
3. There was some dieseling after I shut-off the Bronco yesterday, I think this may have something to do with the explosion.

So, besides buying a new exhaust, where should i start to troubleshoot?, thanks in advance.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I'm not sure but when you shut it off when it was dieseling, it might have fill the muffler with gas or vapor , when you drove it the next time it might have ignited the fuel . my 2 cents

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
2.-Last time I drove it, back in May the ignition switch begun to cut off. Can this cause the explosion?

Yes. While you are driving or cranking the engine, if the ignition is off, unburned fuel/air mix can be pumped into the exhaust system. When the ignition reconnects it ignites normally within the cylinder, & when the exhaust valve opens, the flame spreads to everything in the exhaust system. The muffler is both the restriction & weak point, & gets pealed open like a tin can.

I had it happen once (To my dad's wagon which I had borrowed). It was a very loud boom. I had the coil wire disconnected while doing some work on it & forgot to reconnect it afterwards. I plugged it back in after cranking it while disconnected, started it up & BOOM! Then I bought him a muffler.

When I was a kid there were stories of guys turning the ignition off in gear then back on to blow out the mufflers so they'd have a loud exhaust system.

Last edited:

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
Ha,I used to do that all the time on my old work truck on propane.Kill the ign. pump the throttle and turn the key back on:eek:KABOOM!!You may want to look for a bad connection in your ignition system.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I used to purposely do that in my dodge....there was a heard of goats i had fun scaring the crap out of (i dont do that anymore), and its fun to drive past a golf course, and catch a golfer with that boom while hes on his backswing (i still do that).
They get pissed!

AKwheeler

If you are running air injection, it needs to be diverting to atmosphere on decelerations. If not, the rich decel fuel and extra air can cause the backfire.

M36

Loc.
Tucson
When I was a kid there were stories of guys turning the ignition off in gear then back on to blow out the mufflers so they'd have a loud exhaust system.

Did that with motorcycles all the time. ;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Ha,I used to do that all the time on my old work truck on propane.Kill the ign. pump the throttle and turn the key back on:eek:KABOOM!!You may want to look for a bad connection in your ignition system.

lol i used to do that too in my 66 truck, never blew a muffler though;D