• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quieter Exhaust / Muffler Options

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I recently installed the Duff aluminum exhaust with their stock turbo mufflers. It's not too loud but it's pretty close to that point for me. I understand that the sound / type of sound is subjective and somewhat of a black art but I'd like to find a quieter solution so that my Bronco (and the sound) arrive at about the same time.

I spoke with Duff and they indicated going back to a stock muffler (assuming he meant Walker Quietflow) would be very restrictive and that the Magnaflow would be louder. The guy at Midas thought the Magnaflow would be less loud than what I have.

Appreciate your comments.

302 Crate motor (unknown specs), Auto, stock headers.

Last edited:

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Yes its subjective so take this with a grain of salt. I run a two into one exhaust with the magnaflow and I like it. Its loud when you get on it but otherwise not bad. I don't however believe its overall less than a turbo, just different.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the BC 2-1 and it was way too loud for me. I switched mufflers and also added an inline silencer, it's still very loud, but better.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a Magnaflow, but not sure what number. Will have to go look for the receipt, but it's too loud for me by just a slight bit. Not obnoxious, but it's certainly not quiet. And that's with a 2-into-1 2.5" exhaust almost all the way, with catalytic converter.

Is your Bronco insulated, or is it an empty metal shell? This is a HUGE factor naturally. Mine will quiet down much more when I insulate and get rid of the mats and use carpet and padding, but I may still play around with mufflers. Not against Magnaflow, and it only has a tiny bit of drone at certain rpm/load levels, but I'd like to get rid of that completely and a little bit more of the noise by going with something quieter.

Talking about subjective though, when they're new even glass packs are fairly quiet! I had a pair once, and they sounded fantastic. But only for about a year or two. After that, fugettaboutit!
I'm thinking about the Walker SuperTurbo because it was tested on an episode of EngineMasters and surprisingly won the shootout. For that engine combo at least, it not only did not lose much power, but made more than even the generic straight through mufflers did. Interesting episode.
While it was quieter too, that's not much of a test of noise being on an engine dyno in a small room run by hot-rodders that think there is nothing better in life than loud exhaust and the smell of rubber while doing burnouts and donuts.
So although I always take their opinions with a grain of salt, you can't argue too much with the power results.

Mark1911

I am also running the Walker Quiet-flow stainless steel muffler 3" inlet and outlet with 3" tail pipe exiting behind the right rear tire. I did spend way too much on the rest of the system with all stainless mandrel bent tubing and tig welded. I am also running BC Broncos shorty headers. Big muffler and beautiful system but really mellow tone and quiet.

Mark

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Do you have the exhaust routed out from under the body or does it dump under the body. That can really light up the floor and make things loud.
Headers do make more noise, but generally in the high pitched tinny sound. Imagine holding a piece of tubing and ringing it like a bell, but continuously.
You might be able to step down a size on the tail tube, that can quiet things up.
As for the Walker quiet flow, I found they flow pretty good. It sounds like you have less power, but a lot of power is an illusion of sound.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Do you have the exhaust routed out from under the body or does it dump under the body. That can really light up the floor and make things loud.
Headers do make more noise, but generally in the high pitched tinny sound. Imagine holding a piece of tubing and ringing it like a bell, but continuously.
You might be able to step down a size on the tail tube, that can quiet things up.
As for the Walker quiet flow, I found they flow pretty good. It sounds like you have less power, but a lot of power is an illusion of sound.

Definitely will have a small effect depending on the routing..

hummerdan

306 Blueprint crate engine. Flowmaster Delta 50, two into one, 2.5” in 3” out behind the PS tire

armynavy17

Contributor
I skimmed through and didn't see it, but is it true dual exhaust? Adding an H-pipe should help quiet things down a bit.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I have a dual exhaust. I think I'm going to try the walker quiteflow. Is there a specific model / number I should focus on?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Walker Quiet-flow on my Samuria and really like it. At idle the little 1.3 valve train is louder than exhaust which is great as it's a hunting rig. Plan to put one on the Bronco when I do the M5odr2 swap this winter. The old cherry bombs are on my last nerve. Guess I'm getting too old lol

Tim

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
We have added a resonator before and it does help
We did some disable testing with a turn down like what comes with our kit is believe it or not is 5 Db quieter than out the side behind the tire. I guess at 3" it is more like a megaphone.

We put our short muffler on a customers coyote it was too loud for him, He brought it back we put a non-performance muffler on it and he hated it, it was too quite. We put the Magnaflow back on with a resonator and he was happy.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
We put our short muffler on a customers coyote it was too loud for him, He brought it back we put a non-performance muffler on it and he hated it, it was too quite. We put the Magnaflow back on with a resonator and he was happy.
Good info, I like my magnaflow at idle but it can be a bit much on a long drive. Any resonator you would suggest?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Broncobowsher is right on, the LARGEST physical size will do the most sound dampening in comparable muffler types.

I ran 14" bodied mufflers for decades (because it's all I could fit) and then when I lowered the floors, moved body mounts, 4 linked the rear, etc, etc so I could fit 20" bodied mufflers it made more difference than you could believe.
HP output makes more difference than 90% of people believe. Take the exact same system and bolt it up to an engine with 200 more HP and you won't believe it. I've done it 2x on the same Bronco. Blew me away what the VOLUME of air does- I knew it would make a difference but never expected that MUCH difference.

Course dual 3" pipes with 600hp is loud no matter what unless you can put 30" bodied mufflers on. Takes a lot to dampen that amount of noise without restricting it.

Go big, go restrictive, or get used to it

Last edited:

tpatton75

Contributor
I have the Duff duel exhaust with short headers and Blue print 302 300 hp with lope cam . I changed to this muffler to lower sound but people still look when they hear it .17747 dinomax.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher is right on, the LARGEST physical size will do the most sound dampening in comparable muffler types.

I ran 14" bodied mufflers for decades (because it's all I could fit) and then when I lowered the floors, moved body mounts, 4 linked the rear, etc, etc so I could fit 20" bodied mufflers it made more difference than you could believe.
HP output makes more difference than 90% of people believe. Take the exact same system and bolt it up to an engine with 200 more HP and you won't believe it. I've done it 2x on the same Bronco. Blew me away what the VOLUME of air does- I knew it would make a difference but never expected that MUCH difference.

Course dual 3" pipes with 600hp is loud no matter what unless you can put 30" bodied mufflers on. Takes a lot to dampen that amount of noise without restricting it.

Go big, go restrictive, or get used to it
Which muffler did you go with? I am trying to order an Ultra max out of Canada but doesn't seem they ship to US.