• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Keeping 72' Bronco Uncut?

freedomof76

I'm working on a resto-mod of a 72 Bronco. I had to replace the rear quarter panels, so right now it is uncut. I would really like to keep it that way and I'm hoping to get some great advice here as usual. The body is done and ready for paint.

This Bronco was a basket case and came with a 3.5 inch lift from Wild Horses, which is installed. I want to run 35" tires. I was thinking a one inch body lift but could also do a 2 inch.

This is going to be more of a weekend cruiser, some off roading in Moab. It seems like for future resale keeping it uncut is a bonus.

Project gallery is here: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0oJ0DiRHJOPqG4

gavindg

Loc.
Westlake Village
It comes down to personal preference on cut vs non and they value added is in the eyes of the beholder. One thing to remember it is easier to cut down the road if you desire.
I vote uncut though, nothing beats that look.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You will probably find that 3.5 inch suspension lift and 2 inch body lift is not enough to clear 35 inch tires.
There is a 34x10.50x17 tire that may fit.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unless you want to run a skinny 35" tire like a Super Swamper you'll end up running something in the 33" range, the 34" tires mentioned are barley 33" I run them on my 05' F150 on 7" wide rims. I've seen a few uncut Bronco's on 12.5" wide tires with a big lift but I doubt they'll work very well off road since most look like the wider tires will hit the quarter panels. Here's my uncut with a total of 4.5" lift on 33" x 10.5" BFG's in Moab, spent a lot of time there when I lived in Farmington NM

Attachments

• luber.jpg
    luber.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 98

Specracer

When we bought our Broncos, an absolute requirement was uncut. I much prefer the uncut look.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you don't care about center of gravity for going off-road you can lift an uncut high enough to put any size of tire you want under it.
If rolling it over while you are wheeling Moab is a concern you might need to choose smaller tires (or cut the fender wells).

PCDan

Loc.
Park City
I assume the 35”s you want to run are 12.5 wide? If so they will not fit inside the wheel well when you articulate, so you’ll be lifting a lot higher than 3.5” to keep from rubbing anything.

I have a total of 4.5” of lift on my Luber build with metric 33x10 BFGs. When done they should just barely fit inside the rear quarter when flexed.

I’ll look for you in Moab

Attachments

• 850C4C93-942E-4D90-BE03-11A28BA71361.jpg
    850C4C93-942E-4D90-BE03-11A28BA71361.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 97

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I think the whole cut vs. uncut thing is a manufactured issue, created by late arrivals to the EB community. Those who owned EBs when they were still being made, know that the vast majority on the road had flares before 1970. Ford could see the closed wheel wells on 1964-66 F100s and Broncos was out of place. It was a throw back to the '50s fender skirt look. In 1967 they fixed the pick up styling. Broncos were much lower in priority, so they only made minimal changes and improvements. Autos and ps were left out till '73. PDB waited till 1976. The Bronco was the red-headed stepchild. Ford's understanding of the market was as bad then as it was with the early T'Bird. The aftermarket soon saw opportunity in this oversight, but Ford was slow to catch on. Stroppe immediately corrected the wheel wells. Know that the closed wheel wells increase road noise considerably.

PCDan

Loc.
Park City
I think the whole cut vs. uncut thing is a manufactured issue, created by late arrivals to the EB community. Those who owned EBs when they were still being made, know that the vast majority on the road had flares before 1970. Ford could see the closed wheel wells on 1964-66 F100s and Broncos was out of place. It was a throw back to the '50s fender skirt look. In 1967 they fixed the pick up styling. Broncos were much lower in priority, so they only made minimal changes and improvements. Autos and ps were left out till '73. PDB waited till 1976. The Bronco was the red-headed stepchild. Ford's understanding of the market was as bad then as it was with the early T'Bird. The aftermarket soon saw opportunity in this oversight, but Ford was slow to catch on. Stroppe immediately corrected the wheel wells. Know that the closed wheel wells increase road noise considerably.

Huh? anyone’s preference for original isn’t a “manufactured” issue, it’s just their preference. I like uncut Broncos, and would never cut one.

That being said I have NO problem at all enhancing original equipment with a big boob job ! :p

Lawndart

Loc.
Huh? anyone’s preference for original isn’t a “manufactured” issue, it’s just their preference. I like uncut Broncos, and would never cut one.

That being said I have NO problem at all enhancing original equipment with a big boob job ! :p

Speaking of preferences, my are the exactly opposite of yours ;D

PCDan

Loc.
Park City
Thank goodness we all don’t have the same preferences :cool:

@freedomof76 your build is looking great! ... This was a great post that helped me with my Luber lift/wheel/tire size decisions.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279466

He has 4.5” total lift with a metric 33x10. Obviously no room for a wider tire if left uncut, unless you go with a narrower axle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

freedomof76

Thanks, everyone, appreciate the feedback! I'm leaning back towards cutting. Does anyone know of a good fiberglass (or steel) rear fender that would be glued/painted so that it looks like part of the original body?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
There were EBs that came with trim packages like Sport or Ranger. I just don't recall a LUBER trim package. If there wasn't a LUBER package or model offered by Ford, who manufactured this concept? It had to be EB owners who, years later, thought it would be "cool". It soon became a group think must have. Just like the supposed need for various kinds of lifts or the idiotic idea that installing the largest wheel/tire possible is mandatory. All this is group think dogma. 4X4 manufacturers know they can't build such inherently dangerous vehicles and survive the product liability law suits. Hint, it may not be a good idea for owners either.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Take a look on this site where people have grafted steel front fender cutouts to the rear quarter. When you see those pictures you will see how Ford should have made the Bronco body. unfortunately You have to cut up some stock fenders to get the pieces.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
/\/\ 'How Ford should have made the Bronco body'
Ever since I saw one like that in person years ago that is what I have been saying.

PCDan

Loc.
Park City
/\ /\ Agreed, seems like Ford should have figured out that look and function.

Still, many folks appreciate the funky original “uncut” look. Even if some Luber haters don’t lol %)

Last edited: