• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kinda Depressed

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Except I figure 2x money, 3x time, and 4x beer.

Very accurate statement ;D

I do not start a project until I have researched it enough to feel confident that I know what I'm getting myself into. I also like to have everything I'll need for the project sitting in boxes in the garage. Nothing like starting on something and then waiting for funds or parts to show up to finish.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keep hanging, I'm only 8 years into my oil pan gasket repair...

And, thanks for your service.

DanB

Loc.
Oklahoma
I guess I knock off the dust with an I can relate post.

9ish years ago I drug home a CJ7 that needed to see the crusher in a bad way. More rot and poor fiberglass patching than usable metal for a body. The thought was as many others have said. get it drive-able. about a grand or so later it was safe to put the Mrs. in and go for drive.

It wasn't until I moved down the list to fixing the leaking steering box that IT happened. Unbolting the box resulted in two snapped bolts. Unfortunately they were in a location that would require other items to be removed to access for a proper repair. The IT I referred to was a complete stop of work and a realization that I wasn't going to be tinkering on this vehicle as I had originally intended. I was going to be rebuilding this one.

What progressed next was hours of research. Tool and part acquisition. Then a stand still while I hunted for a new body. Found one that needed very little rust repair. Loaded up in Oklahoma City and headed to Austin, TX on my day off to get the body.

Frame repair, new plumbing, new wiring, new springs, shocks, seats, etc, etc, etc. I rolled it out of the garage and off the the exhaust shop on July 3rd of that year and we enjoyed the topless ride for the rest of the summer.

I'm currently doing the same type of research on a future Bronco build. Knowing what it took to rebuild the CJ. I'm already aware of the headaches faced in finding the unknowns on a Bronco build. I have my eye on two potential candidates. If I can find the owner of one that I have driven by in TX for the past 4 years. I'll be ecstatic. The weeds are about to conceal it from the road. The other is a roller that needs a complete rebuild. for $800 its tempting.

Older vehicles are project vehicles. They are called that because there is always something to work on. With a healthy bank account balance and time you can condense the frustrating projects and get it to a point of reliable drive-ability. For the rest of us. its a landmark moment when we can have a true 3 day weekend to completely replace the plumbing on a vehicle so the breaks continue to work and the fuel doesn't spray out of that pen hole in the fuel line anymore.

Owning an older vehicle is a labor of love. No other way to put it.

Jesse37932

Loc.
Knoxville
Amen, I feel your pain/dissapointment. I have heard/read about lift kit battles. It does get better, actually it is a processwe are all in, learning about every inch of these old trucks, its never ending. I stay signed on because I love working on things, with a few cold drinks, in my shop-it can be frustrating, but it is also theraputic. Also very rewarding when you complete each task. If it was easy, everyone would do it. Guess thats the root of our sense of pride and love of these vehicles. You have to work on your marriage to make it a succes and you have to work on these darn trucks to get them down the road/trail. Mine hasnt left the garage in over a year but I am getting close. The folks on this board will help you keep your sanity, post pictures, ask questions, someone here has the answer. We are one big support group.
My name is Jesse, and I have a bronco.
Welcome to the group! Be sure to post your victories, large and small, keep another brother going...

DJs74

Bronco Guru
You have a Bronco though!!!! When things look bleak and everything is going wrong... Jump in the drivers seat, hands on the wheel and look out over that beautiful, unique hood & fender design that can only be found on the Early Ford Bronco, it'll calm you down. I had a similar situation when I was doing the radius arm bushings, nothing was going right and I ended up doing it three times to get it perfect... Lots of trips to the drivers seat reminding myself of the ultimate view I was working toward

DJs74

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
When I plan to do a project on the bronco, I look at everything that has t come off, to do the project, if it is old and there is a better product or upgrade available, I don't embark on the project until I can get all the upgraded parts. That way when an old part comes apart in my hands I already have the replacement and I know that everything associate with that project will last at least another 40 years. It's not the easiest way to do things, but it sure saves a lot of frustration in having to do things over.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
When things look bleak and everything is going wrong... Jump in the drivers seat, hands on the wheel and look out over that beautiful, unique hood & fender design that can only be found on the Early Ford Bronco, it'll calm you down.

Not too easy for those of us with no seat, wheel, hood or fenders (yet).;D

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Not too easy for those of us with no seat, wheel, hood or fenders (yet).;D

Ahhh... Yeah that could be tough. In that case, you gotta hit the web and do a google or bing image search and find a photo. It's all about visual motivation

DJs74

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I like Jesse thinking on this ...... They are a commitment not every thing will come easy with a 40 year old vehicle, but you will get back what you put in it. I bought mine it was set up with door inserts and old Kayline doors. I liked the new style Besttop doors so I bought a set. The new doors didn't fit my inserts. Some old style inserts that didn't match the new doors. On to the next plan take out insets and get new ones that will fit the door kit I just bought or since the insets have to come out anyway put steel doors back on , which I really prefer. Anyway inserts have to come out. You guessed it ... Inserts were installed because the hinge post was junk. Decided to do it right and new kick panels and door post both sides. Been working on it since January. The truck will be so much better for fixing what need to be done. Keep plugging away at it , it will be worth it.

Last edited:

Can71

Loc.
Redwood city
Welcome to the world of restoration, there will be good days!
If you need Abrams and don't want another headache contact Bronco Connections

OP
OP
B

broncoman82

Loc.
Blairsville Ga.
Well guys I read through each and every one of yalls replies and I just want to say thank yall. It feels good to know I am not the only one thats going through it. I also appreciate the words of encouragement. Now that I have slept I guess I have a different view on it I guess it just had me beat down yesterday thinking about what all I had to get done on it. Hopefully my parts will be in Monday or Tuesday and I can at least get it to where I can drive it again.

Thanks again
Adam

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
As the others have stated, def. take your time. I have a self imposed deadline that gets on track and off track on a too frequent basis. I know it will get done eventually and when it is done, it will be right by me. Thats all you can ask for. Don't sweat it when things take you away from it, I had 2 weeks I couldn't work on mine due to weather and an infection and I was all worried about my time lines... turns out after a good day or two I am back ahead of schedule for the moment again. Another example, I had planned to have my tub done and painted last summer, my dad is the painter and he was involved in a bad motorcycle wreck. Talk about really blowing a schedule due to other issues but as my time line plays out, even not getting it painted when I thought it needed to be, I am still on track to have it done by SC next year for the 50th. I have made some concessions as far as items I want to have done but they are not needed to have it done for the show like power windows and door locks. I will have the wires in when I do the harness but that will be a winter project later... you can look creatively at things you can move around which will still get done but they do not stop the end result of using it. Good luck!