• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Las Vegas 73 Bronco

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My budget is 50k

Just powder coating the frame will be at least $10,000, with $9,000 of that in labor to pull everything off and put it back on. A Coyote conversion is about $12-15,000 for the engine and kit. If you REALLY want to know what it's going to cost, send an email to Nick over at Nick's Trix with your list. Not that we're not being gentle with you, but seriously, if this is what you REALLY want, you're better off selling yours and either getting a cheap barn find that needs everything anyway, or getting one that's got a some of this work done already, and adding to it. If you get one that's mostly done, you'll save a lot on labor costs. I don't have 1/2 of what you want on my restomod, and I'm doing all the work myself. I'm well over $40,000 into it without labor.

http://www.nickstrix.com/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Bronco...15a9d0b0:g:q9cAAOSwAvJW-GmS&item=262356455600

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Bronco...fa1a96a3:g:DSMAAOSwPc9W1LlN&item=322023626403

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Bronco...0c319516:g:KioAAOSwZ8ZW8y4C&item=141938496790

Last edited:
OP
OP
LV73Bronco

LV73Bronco

You're over 50K Bud. Maybe way over.

I hope that list is adjustable.

Do you have any special needs personally that cause you to want things like Run Flats and stuff.
Some of what you are asking for is "not typical", and "non typical" can get dangerously expensive fast Bro.

My list is flexible that's why I'm here to get people thoughts.

OP
OP
LV73Bronco

LV73Bronco

Just powder coating the frame will be at least $10,000, with $9,000 of that in labor to pull everything off and put it back on. A Coyote conversion is about $12-15,000 for the engine and kit. If you REALLY want to know what it's going to cost, send an email to Nick over at Nick's Trix with your list.

http://www.nickstrix.com/

I spoke with them and they are charging 125k to do a Bronco. I have found one person from a reputable company to do most of the list for under my budget of 50k mainly because they only charge 50 dollars an hour for labor. Icon and Nixtrix was charging much more.

OP
OP
LV73Bronco

LV73Bronco

50k may get you the parts and that's a maybe. Labor and time will put you way over that. Did you see a bronco you liked and want to build one similar to it? Sounds like you are searching for a unicorn.

No I am taking some of the things I like from other Broncos. Plus things I would like to have such as a remote start, Lienex etc.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Take a look at my build, everything I have done myself and I am north of $40K in mine and it is not finished. I still have to pay the upholstery shop, buy my EFI system and all the remaining little small parts to finish it up including wheels and tires... Just trying to help you get more realistic with your wants and needs. I see a complete stock rebuild, no mods just going back to factory original being the cheapest method and if you are planning on paying someone to do it, you are looking at 50k, no one works for free and shops are not cheap to maintain. Here is some breakdowns for you, paint job and body work can easily hit 10K or more. Motor, driveline mods etc. you are looking at 20K, 2K for wheels and tires, cage will be 2K, add in another 5K for incidentals and you are at 39K in outlay of just parts. Factor about 20K to pay someone to put it together and you can see your budget is a pipe dream. Not trying to discourage you if you are serious but the costs are what they are and you really cannot avoid them.

I am good friends with Nick and have been to his shop many times and when someone says you get what you pay for, with him you do. You also have a perfect and solid bronco when done and not something cobbled together. Again, you need to separate your list into two columns, the must haves and the would like to haves...

OP
OP
LV73Bronco

LV73Bronco

Air conditioning for front and rear? For starters I would sell your bronco and start from scratch. With everything you want, you'll be tossing 90% of your current Bronco.

Even if I start over every company I spoke to says I would need to buy a bronco to build so why sell the bronco I own just to pay for another one? My bronco is rust free and straight all the companies that have looked at it say it is a good bronco to start with.

House

Minutia Militia
Agreed. Don't get discouraged. You have your list. You know your budget.
If you can't get to where you want then either lessen your list or increase your budget.
:)

OP
OP
LV73Bronco

LV73Bronco

You are looking at a healthy 6 figure build, specially if you are paying someone to do it. I would contact Nick at Nicks Trix as I know he is doing several with some of the options you mentioned but be forewarned, he has a healthy wait list. I know on my build, I have most of what you are wanting sans the nav and electric seats, coyote etc. and am well north of 40K in parts on mine alone with me doing all of the work. I think your wants and needs need to be addressed, wanting more leg room and electric seats is going to kill your head height no matter how you go about it. I originally wanted electric seats and ditched them for Celica seats and added heaters to them. I gained 2" of head room plus more leg room as well as full adjustability. All those motors to give you adjustment come at a cost of mounting height. Teeing the cage into the frame will add major rigidity as well as stiffen the ride, if you are planning rock crawling I would say it is a must but if you want comfort and safety for mostly minor trails and street, then not so much, the sacrifice is not worth the gain. Posting a list like that and leaving the budget out begs for a lot of questions...

My budget is 50k. I thought just coming out and giving a budget, people might just say purchase this and that without thinking about cost. I was wrong in doing that. I do like your idea for the seats and the roll cage that is why I have the post here. I am willing to give somethings up to get others. I am more than willing to give up electric seats now that people like you say I could get more leg room with Celica seats. Plus I got a message saying if I go through streams and need a snorkel kit maybe electric seats are not the best because they could get wet. Thanks again for your much needed help.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even if I start over every company I spoke to says I would need to buy a bronco to build so why sell the bronco I own just to pay for another one? My bronco is rust free and straight all the companies that have looked at it say it is a good bronco to start with.

Look, we're trying to help you, so let's look at what you want to do compared to your current bronco that you've paid money for already:

1) New engine, thus the engine you paid for when you bought your Bronco was wasted money.

2) Anti-lock brakes - thus the brakes you paid for when you bought your Bronco was wasted money.

Suspension, tires, bumpers, seats, gas tank, window seals, steering column, windshield frame and wipers, - You already paid for all this stuff when you bought your Bronco, but you'll need to toss it all. All wasted money when you bought yours. Not just wasted money on those parts, but now you have the ADDED cost of pulling all that stuff off, and putting on your replacement parts. And frankly, you're missing a ton of other things. With the lift and tires you want you'll need to have steering box mounting point reinforced, drop down pitman arms, trac bar brackets, brake line extensions, shifting linkage extensions. You'll most likely need a hydroboost steering pump. With the motor you'll need dual sets of fuel lines, new fuel pump. Then there's the new paint job because your windshield needs the welds cut and the new windshield frame put on. I would imagine your 40 year old electric wiring would need to be replaced too to support all the new electronics you want. Then there's the newer high amp alternator to power it all. And, of course, new drive shafts and axles to take the power of the engine. And with new 31+ spline axles, you'll need 2 new differentials. But you already paid for the ones you have on your Bronco. Now they have to be tossed and replaced.

The point is, you bought a nice Bronco, but you paid for a lot of stuff you are going to toss and replace anyway. Thus, that's wasted money, in parts and labor to remove, that could be better spent on the newer parts and labor to install on a blank canvas. As I pointed out earlier, you have to take EVERYTHING off the frame to powder coat it. That's a minimum of 50 hours right there. At $50, that's $2500 just to get at the frame. Then another $750 to blast and powder coat it, then another 100 hours minimum to put everything back on. So what do you REALLY have on your Bronco that's useful? A body shell, frame, transmission, axles, transfer case. You may be able to sell some of your old parts and make up some money, but not much. So why not start with a frame, transmission, axles transfer case, and body from a non-running Bronco that you can get a lot cheaper? OR start with a Bronco that someone's already done the frame and some other items, saving you the parts you're throwing out, and a lot of labor already. Only YOU can decide, but I can't imagine you'd get a lot of the parts and labor you're looking for done for $50,000. You can save a TON of money by giving up the motor. Get a crate 351 and put fuel injection on it for $5000. That saves you $10,000 right there. Put 4 wheel disc brakes on now, and wait for anti-lock system to come down in price. Give up the windshield until you're ready to repaint.

We're here to help you. But I think House is right. Think about what you can live with/without, then think about the labor costs to do things. What can be done when you do one thing to reduce the labor of another. For example when you do the suspension, they have to take the axles off anyway so upgrade those at the same time.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I don't think I saw this question asked yet, if it was I am sorry.

Anyway........What is WRONG with the Bronco you bought??? Looks nice from the photo.

MAYBE, just start fixing the actual problems and use it as is for a while??? I don't know, had mine for 6 years now and I change/improve things as I have time and money.

Pops

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I looked at the list again. Was going to paste it and then add values beside each, but it is too much work for now :).
I initially looked at the list, thought about the hundreds and hundreds of hours I have in mine and just don't see $50K being enough for the labor. Most of us doing our restoration are doing all the labor as the hobby. Labor of love. Out of pocket money is just the parts and mine is well over $20K (I have not added it up in a few years). Realistically it is $30K+. And my Bronco is aimed at just a stock build. No bells and whistles really.

I spent two years of many weekends and week days at the beginning. Long days during those weekends. Then took a break. Then moved. Then back at it really serious again the end of 2014. Spent almost every weekend and most evenings during 2015. I did some serious calculating of my time I spent just in 2015 and on the conservative side it was probably 1200 hours. At $50 per hour that is $60K. But mine was a rust bucket and my goal was to bring it back to near showroom condition, so it was a time suck.

Maybe we have all gone off into left field, but I blame your list for that. You fried our brains.

Back in 2015 I was nearing burn out again. I found that restoration place in Winchester VA and contacted them about taking my Bronco to completion. They emailed back that sure they would take it on. I set them up an escrow account, start by depositing $15K. They would draw from that and as it ran out I just add more funds. I finished the Bronco myself.

OP
OP
LV73Bronco

LV73Bronco

I don't think I saw this question asked yet, if it was I am sorry.

Anyway........What is WRONG with the Bronco you bought??? Looks nice from the photo.

MAYBE, just start fixing the actual problems and use it as is for a while??? I don't know, had mine for 6 years now and I change/improve things as I have time and money.

Pops

It does not run well. I have done what I can. I have put in a new painless wiring harness, new center console and little things like that. I am not mechanically inclined so I am getting over my head with what needs to be done.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
What engine?? What tranny?? What kind of brakes?? Disc/drum?? Maybe it doesn't all need replacing but just fixing up instead??? Have you tried finding a repair shop that is reputable?? Doesn't run well ---tune up, fuel filter, carb cleaning/adjusting??

You could POSSIBLY eliminate a bunch from your list this way.

Pops

KBUCK1

I think you could do it if you done the work. No one touched mine except for me. All body work and new sheet metal was done by me. I did pay someone to spray the paint and build the engine. I put the engine in, transmission in ect.
there is nothing on mine that isn't new or rebuilt. It's not perfect but it's mine. I learned a lot working on it. I'd say i have less than 35 in mine. I don't have a lot of the stuff that you are after but those things aren't $20000 dollars either. Costs of things are different in different areas of the country I'm sure. Do you have a shop or garage to work in? I say do everything you can yourself and hire out the others. You'll find that you can do a lot more than you think you can. If you have 50000 to spend not including the initial purchase of the bronco then I'd say you can do it. Sounds like it already has a new wiring harness to. That's a plus. Rust free is a HUGE plus

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
Broncos are fun because they are simple, light, powerful and small. Sounds like you want to remove all of that to make it a 4 door JK.

now if all you want is to enjoy your ride. go pay someone competent to tune your existing engine. that'll let you know if it makes the power you want or needs to be replaced.

OP
OP
LV73Bronco

LV73Bronco

Broncos are fun because they are simple, light, powerful and small. Sounds like you want to remove all of that to make it a 4 door JK.

now if all you want is to enjoy your ride. go pay someone competent to tune your existing engine. that'll let you know if it makes the power you want or needs to be replaced.

I would say thanks but apparently you did not read what I was asking, your comment was not helpful in any way. You contributed absolutely zero to this discussion...congrats.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
I would say thanks but apparently you did not read what I was asking, your comment was not helpful in any way. You contributed absolutely zero to this discussion...congrats.

Hey, hey, hey, easy now. I know you may feel a little on the ropes but we try to stay friendly round here.

OP
OP
LV73Bronco

LV73Bronco

Hey, hey, hey, easy now. I know you may feel a little on the ropes but we try to stay friendly round here.

Really? You think it's fun not to read the post and then just make stupid comments. Go Twitter someone then. I am trying to get real input not here people tell me about how hard they work on their projects and then describe it without telling me how that answer my question. Why would you say to that guy hey that wasn't very helpful. No you decide to side with him and say that was helpful. Tell me what he said that was helpful? Please.

Wingo4x4

Loc.
Myrtle Beach
I think by now you may have gotten the point that the list may be extreme for the budget. My suggestion would be to start a new thread and to list what your budget is and how you plan to use your bronco primarily(ex: 80% road driven with 20% moderate off road) . Then see what people suggest as first steps to your goal.

Ideally the first things I would do is suspension lift, at least front disc breaks, wheels and tires, roll cage, and security sytem(tuffy glove box and maybe alarm system).