• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf AND coil springs over rear end?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, read that one on Barn Finds yesterday too. Definitely an add-on from a previous owner.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is the...
I haul way too much stuff for what it is designed to carry. So I found a set of random coil springs about the right length and stuffed them between the axle and the frame. Now I can carry way too much stuff but it is okay, I have enough spring to hold it up. The frame, axle, brakes, cooling system, clutch may not be up to the task, but the extra springs hold up the weight.

So expect this thing to have been overloaded and abused in the prior life.

yakelys69

Now I understand why it has a bench seat cover and they didn’t pull it up all the way

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I thought there was some "option" out there I was just learning about!;D

OX1

Bronco Guru
Didn't Airlift have an add on, thin coil spring and "airbag"
to use with leaves, back in the day?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
My 72 had leafs and coils in the rear when I bought it. Guessing it was to hide the wire out leafs. That was the 1st of many unique fixes I found on it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Typically I see the coil spring helpers built into the shocks. Like air shocks but with coils instead of air.

Golfball

My brown 75 had a set of coils on the rear end also when I got it, helper springs I guess.