• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf spring and shackle question.

slongoria

Just had someone install 5.5 leaf springs and coils for me. Couple things going on
1. He installed the Leafs backwards
2. Ride is really rough
3. When the bronco is in the air. The passenger side does not relax or move. Same amount of space between the fender and the tire as when the bronco is on the ground with all the weight.
4. I went from a stock leaf with 3 inch block that had pinion correction in it, to a 5.5 WH 11 pack leaf springs with no shim and now I'm getting vibration from the driveshaft and unusual squeaks that ive never heard before.

My question is - How do I fix this? Does it matter that the leafs are backwards? If the leafs are in the correct position will I still need a shim? Are the shackles too tight? Do I need to add a leaf shim to get the right pinion angle to resolve the vibration issues?

I know im all over the place.

300d4iq.jpg

70feyx.jpg

iqx3dw.jpg

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. Yes, it matters which way the spring goes. Not so much that it changes the way the springs themselves react, but the double-wrap eye just doesn't usually fit in the shackle end all that well. Hopefully that's most of your squeaking. Might not be, but we'll hope for now.
And you lose the safety factor for which that double-wrap is known.

Did you install longer shocks too? Too much difference between that and what you had before to use the same shocks.

Yes, you absolutely have to use the shims. The angle doesn't change that I'm aware of from having the springs one way or the other. The pinion angle just can't handle all that lift in most cases, without something protesting. Check the pinion angle to be sure of course, but 99% chance you need them I would say.

Good luck.
Hopefully the ride quality and the reason it's not drooping any further is the shocks being too short. But maybe other things are too.
Oh, and just wait until we start talking about the steering geometry and all the little custom things you're going to have to do to get this thing to handle on the street with anything resembling stock manners.:(

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I meant to ask earlier when I saw your other pics and comments, why did you change from the 3.5 to the 5.5 inch lift?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1. He installed the Leafs backwards

I guess I might as well be snarky a little bit too (in case I wasn't already) and ask if the guy even read the decal? If these are new springs, the labeling clearly states which eye goes towards the front.
Hopefully he will flip them for you without additional cost.

2. Ride is really rough

We'll hope for now that you didn't get longer shocks. If that's the case, then this is very likely at least a partial cause for your harsh ride. But it could be the type of shock, the air pressure in those stiff tires, or other things.

3. When the bronco is in the air. The passenger side does not relax or move. Same amount of space between the fender and the tire as when the bronco is on the ground with all the weight.

Sounds like the shocks are so short that there is not even any travel left in them at ride height. The springs may very well be sitting high too. Our springs tend to do that for awhile at least. Some additional weight in the back can help to settle them into place sooner rather than later.

Sorry to rehash some of the stuff already mentioned, but thought I'd throw a couple of extra tidbits and comments in there anyway.

And I forgot to ask for some additional pics from the front of the steering linkage. Both detailed, and full view if you don't mind.

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And to continue my post-whoring ways... I meant to say just what a beautiful Bronco that is you got there!
Very nice combo in the early pics. Can't tell in the more recent "after" pics up on the rack, but the "before" shots in the shop were looking fantastic.

Whereabouts are you? Still in CA?
If in the South Bay on Sunday morning, we're getting together for a little breakfast and talk about the WH Roundup on 4/1 and to see who's caravaning up.
Join us if you're in the area. At both!

Paul

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Another thing to look at... that shackle to spring bolt may be dragging on the frame and getting hung up.
the nut should be on the outside with the bolt head towards the frame side as shown in your driver's side picture.

gotdads68

Contributor
^Good eye, left side is correct. Military wrap always goes forward they're not uncommon, and with what Paul said about the springs being labeled anyway, I totally agree the shop should redo the job correctly.

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
The pinion angle will probably be way off with them backwards too. I made the mistake a couple weeks ago putting mine on backwards and when I went to bolt the axle up is when I realized it. (And I didn't notice any marking telling me which way they pointed either but maybe I didn't look hard enough.) At that point I also noticed that the shackle binds and will not move up into it's normal position with them backwards, that's probably why you're squeaking.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
You will want the WH 6* shim too,I have the exact same suspension as you but I have the shim and no vibration,you have the best springs on the market they're just installed incorrectly,get those springs flipped around too. :cool:;D:D:eek::)

OP
OP
S

slongoria

Another thing to look at... that shackle to spring bolt may be dragging on the frame and getting hung up.
the nut should be on the outside with the bolt head towards the frame side as shown in your driver's side picture.

I didnt even notice that. youre right. Thats why that side isnt dropping. Thanks!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also you should not torque the bolts except at ride height meaning, the thing on the floor with no support other than springs, then torq. Did they use lube on the bolts, and bushings?