• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf Spring Bushing Question

jonmelton

Hey guys, I made a video asking about the leaf spring bushings and how you guys get them out. Take a look and let me know your magical way to remove the bushings.

[youtube]QZPXxrqQma0[/youtube]

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Some come right out with a socket and big hammer or press and others will have you swearing for an hour.

For those that are stuck/rusted in, I usually just cut the inner metal sleeve and rubber bushing in a couple of places and then pound it out. Then it is easier to get to the outer sleeve. You cut it right where the shackle is folded around and welded to itself then peel it out with a chisel.

As far as the bolt, sounds like it is rusted to the sleeve. It may take some time soaking it with penetrant and working it with a ratchet. I wouldn't cut it off just yet. I would try penetrant first. You may have to drop your gas tank and pound it out from the inside if you can't get enough leverage with the access you have.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
I agree with broncodriver I would try PB Blaster or the like first before cutting on the bolt.

As for the metal sleeve I cut a sawzall blade so it was skinnier to fit in there and cut through it. A lot faster than a hacksaw blade. Or if you know someone with a good press that works too.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Love the videos man!
As far as the bushing goes, I use a torch to burn out the rubber first. That will allow the inside steel sleeve to fall out as well. I Have used a sawzall or hacksaw blade to cut through the outside sleeve length wise and then use a chisel or screw driver or air chisel to bend the sleeve in on itself and peel it out. The original track bar bushings are the same fun to remove as the shackle bushings.
The bolt issue is always fun too. I have used a saw and cut off both sides of the bolt on the inside of the mount. I have also cut the head off of the bolt and used a big hammer and driven the bolt out the back side. Some times you can get lucky and work the bolt back and forth with some penetrating oil and get it to loosen up inside that sleeve.
Just my 2 cents! Good luck with your project! Keep the videos coming as well!

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I use an air hammer and try a couple of different bits to cut and loosen the bushings. Getting the inner part out can help before getting the rest out. It is never easy. I would not burn them. Especially not near the house or garage. Penetrating oil and persistence. You can clamp a vice grips on the p side bolt and use it to twist and hammer on. Good luck

dholder

The very best penetrating oil that I know of is AeroKroil. Try it, you will like it.

Tstinnett

Just spent the last two weekends working on swapping in my wild horses leafs as a one man show and I feel your pain. Been there done that got the tee shirt....

After several hours of monkeying with the shackle bolts seized to the inner bushing trying the "right" way to remove them and having enough liquid courage I whipped out the sawzall with a metal cutting blade and cut the bolts. It's tight, but I was able shift the bushing/leaf enough to get the blade in and if you are carefull you can fully cut the bolt without modifying your spring hangar. Small victory No. 1....

On to the shackle bushings...propane torch on the inside bushing. Some combination of a BFH, a lot of anger and my neighbors borrowed air chisel got the center bushings free (mostly the chisel). The rubber is easy after that. That outer bushing is tough...I used the air chisel again with the flat cutting blade to cut the bushing at the "weld" of the shackle where it's exposed and you can work the cut down the inside "crack" of the shackle bearing surface. Flipped it over and repeated on the other side until the bushing is horribly mangled and cut all the way through. At this point your close, I used the pointed chisel and the air hammer again for the win....

First side took me probably 5 hours and the better part of a 12 pack for the whole process. Second side I felt like a NASCAR pit crew member and took me about 45 minutes after skipping all the B.S.

Good luck!

Btw, big thumbs up on the videos that you and Matt are posting, keep it up!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Some come right out with a socket and big hammer or press and others will have you swearing for an hour.

For those that are stuck/rusted in, I usually just cut the inner metal sleeve and rubber bushing in a couple of places and then pound it out. Then it is easier to get to the outer sleeve. You cut it right where the shackle is folded around and welded to itself then peel it out with a chisel.

As far as the bolt, sounds like it is rusted to the sleeve. It may take some time soaking it with penetrant and working it with a ratchet. I wouldn't cut it off just yet. I would try penetrant first. You may have to drop your gas tank and pound it out from the inside if you can't get enough leverage with the access you have.

just done the same thing last weekend, if I was to do it again with the stock sleeves I would get an air chisle

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
You can use a large deep socket and a C clamp to force the inner sleeve and rubber out then a hacksaw to cut through the outer sleeve and you are done. If you have a hyd. press and a sawsall that makes it easier.