• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf Spring Questions

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
1. How many leaves are in a stock leaf pack?
2. Is there a difference front to back with the leaf pack?
3. Should urethane bushings for the spring ends press in or fit easily with my hand?

I bought a 3.5" lift kit from JBG and got the add a leaf for the rear and urethane bushings. The problem is that I'm not sure that I have a stock set of leaf springs. I remember the PO telling me that he used a set of springs off a F150 pickup. I installed the add a leaf in one pack and knocked out the stock rubber bushings. When I went to install the urethane ones they didn't seem to fit right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Greg

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
stock is 4 leafs with a 1/2" overload leaf.

there is a diference which way they go in. the center pin should be farther from the back than the front.

when i put urethane bushings in mine, they were a little tight going in. use a bit of white grease, they'll go in a little easier.

good luck!

OP
OP
grs44310

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
My spring packs have 6 including the overload, so I guess I'm not dealing with an OE set of springs here.

Did you have to use a press to get your urethane bushings to fit? No matter how much grease I put on these they aren't going in without some serious force.

I think I might be better off finding an OE set of springs as a baseline and install the add a leaf and bushings. Does anyone near Akron, OH have a pair of good OE springs they are interested in parting with?

Thanks,
Greg

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
1. 5 or 6 leafs base models would have the 5 leaf while most sports and all rangers will have 6 leafs due to the HD suspension required whith the rear seat option.
2. Not sure
3. poly bushings usually slide in without too much hassle

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
no, i didn't have to use a press. you should be able to put them in by hand, but the sleeves might have to be tapped in. like i said, religious grease!

OP
OP
grs44310

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
Well something is deffinetly "different" about my leaf springs because the urethane bushings won't go in period.

Landshark

Loc.
California
grs44310 said:
My spring packs have 6 including the overload, so I guess I'm not dealing with an OE set of springs here.

Did you have to use a press to get your urethane bushings to fit? No matter how much grease I put on these they aren't going in without some serious force.

I think I might be better off finding an OE set of springs as a baseline and install the add a leaf and bushings. Does anyone near Akron, OH have a pair of good OE springs they are interested in parting with?

Thanks,
Greg

On you bushings, it sounds like the original metal sleeve is
still in place.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
1: small bearing low GVW rating is 5 leaf. Big bearing high GVW is 6 leaf
2: yes there is a difference. If you have newer springs with the double wrap, that goes to the front. Not completely sure about stock springs.
I just had a friend who had custom springs made. The did some internial tricks like adding some preload to the front of the packs to try and caontrol axle wrap. So I expect the stockers to have some of the same tricks in them.

OP
OP
grs44310

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
I have removed the outer metal sleeve and they just don't fit. I'm 99% sure that these aren't Bronco application springs. I'm going to call the PO today and see if I can't figure out what they are from.

OP
OP
grs44310

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
Well I was able to snag a true "Bronco" set of leaf springs off Ebay for $10 ($60 shipping OUCH). I figured that was the easiest way to solve my problems. Thanks for all your help guys.

Greg