• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf Spring Removal

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The back bolts are always a pain to get out. I know you can probably torch them off. I was wondering if it is possible to use a sawzall and cut the bolts. Anyone ever done that?

Trey Taylor

I used a grinder and ground off the head of the shackle bolt and drove it out with screwdriver after I got the nut off. The bolt was in a bind and could not get it out.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think a sawzall would work great. I just wonder if the blade will cut through the bolts or not...

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Grinder or sawzall, Both will work but a good blade on the sawzall is a must. The bolts are hardened heavy grade Bolts.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Yes, I've had to sawzall or cutoff wheel through many of those bolts.
No problem.

Big Del

Loc.
JC Oregon
sawzal blades made by milwaukie called Torch work awsome they are a little more money but well worth it. They smoke through hardened bolts.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
sawzal blades made by milwaukie called Torch work awsome they are a little more money but well worth it. They smoke through hardened bolts.

Those blades are amazing. So much worth it to get good blades. I did a demo once for a friend. Cheap blade and a truck frame rail. Less then half way through. Good blade finished the frame, plus the other side and everything else to scrap the truck. Same TPI and metal blade rating. But the Milwaukie blades will ust last so much more. That single blade cut better at the end of scrapping the truck then the cheap one did brand new out of the package.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
No part number but I have seen them at home depot around here. they are all that I use now. 2xs the cost of the dewalt home depots.

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just need to cut through the two back bolts on each side. Hopefully if I cut them on both sides of the shackle I can drive out the other pieces.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
You can get the nut off of the bolt or not? The stuck ones that I have seen, the bolt is rusted to the metal sleeve in the bushing. It makes the bolt to large to push/pull out of the shackle. A good amount of heat and an impact gun was successful for me.

matt w

Bronco Guru
Well I had to remove my rear leafs and it looks like I was the 1st to take them off since 1972 (its a 73)...

I used an impact wrench and I got them off pretty easily. I did hit them with WD about an hour or so before attempting to unbolt them. It probably helps that this is a California EB..so there is not much moisture here....maybe that's why they came apart to easily.

BUT man I barely got my E-brake adjusting nuts off...might need a whole new set up there..

Good luck man! ;D

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The nut is off. It is rusted inside the bushing like you said. I want to remove the leaf spring for sand blaasting the frame. I figure if I cut it off both ends I can deal with getting it out of the leaf spring later...

Trey Taylor

Get a can of PB Blaster and spray everything down this help loosen the rusty bolts.

ArmyCOL

I used a sawsall on one of mine. It took forever to cut through the bolt but it worked. Need to be extremely careful of not cutting through the shackle (if you plan to re-use).

Chuck