• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

leaking oil out of valve cover breathers?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
always having issues with slight oil leakage on valve covers around breathers. Maybe its the lack of oil baffles on the inside of the valve covers. This has never been a problem before. Was thinking of using breather extensions but wondering what others have done.

Rightpace

Do you have a pcv valve in one of the valve covers? Normally the front of the driver's side.the breather side is usually piped to the carburetor air horn or air cleaner base to draw in and burn any bypass fumes or vapor.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Blu here on CB turned me on to some of those extensions. They help a lot and sort of look cool, but some seepage still occurs where they attach.
Ultimate solution would be to weld the extensions on to the valve cover.

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
first crankcase has to breath, so it needs a pcv valve, and the valve covers need to have a baffle. On high performance engines I always remove the original baffle and fabricate "longer" ones. Having said that, if you have pcv and valve covers are baffled, then there is a possibility you may have a bad ring; piston; valve not seating, etc.... and getting excessive pressure in the crankcase. Without knowing more it's a laundry list of possibilities

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
Having this issue with my new blueprint 306, tall bronco script valve covers with the breather tube. First thought it was coming from the seam where the breather tube goes into the cover and they sent me a replacement set NC. Installed the 'new' one and now it's worse, oil all over the side of the valve cover, onto the spark plug wires, etc. Now they're saying to crimp the baffles closed more to help alleviate the issue, haven't done that yet to see if it fixes it.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Blu here on CB turned me on to some of those extensions. They help a lot and sort of look cool, but some seepage still occurs where they attach.
I am considering doing just that along with a baffle below it.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The 427 FE engines had an oil separator basket in the lifter valley behind the carb that was filled with what looked like a stainless steel scouring pad. The cover of this aluminum "basket" had a nipple for the PCV hose. Could a SS pad be inserted over the baffle to separate the oil before the crank case fumes and vapor are pulled into the PCV ?

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
The 427 FE engines had an oil separator basket in the lifter valley behind the carb that was filled with what looked like a stainless steel scouring pad. The cover of this aluminum "basket" had a nipple for the PCV hose. Could a SS pad be inserted over the baffle to separate the oil before the crank case fumes and vapor are pulled into the PCV ?
we tried with using the green scouring pad in the breathers but eventually it would seep some oil. An extension would help.
A valve cover swap with baffles under the breather hole did a big noticeable change, so I think that was the main issue.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm dealing with the same issue...even with baffles. Mine seep between the grommets and valve covers. It's these crappy grommets we have these days.

1970 Palmer

Have any of you ever had a 302 valve cover off, and then started the engine?

You would not believe how much oil is flying around inside a 302 valve cover. I'm surprised that they do not leak/seep more than the do.

A better valve cover baffle is a good idea. Higher breather tubes on the valve covers have been a SBF solution used for many years. There's no reason the PCV valve needs to pull the crankcase pressure from the valve cover. It could be plumbed into the lifter valley as was originally done on the early FE's. Heck even the early 221 and 260 small blocks pulled from the valley. I think that location was a carry over from the old days of road draft tubes.

Moon Equipment made millions of valve cover breathers for all kinds of engines. They used a green mesh material inside the breather to help separate the oil mist.

John

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Have any of you ever had a 302 valve cover off, and then started the engine?

You would not believe how much oil is flying around inside a 302 valve cover. I'm surprised that they do not leak/seep more than the do.

A better valve cover baffle is a good idea. Higher breather tubes on the valve covers have been a SBF solution used for many years. There's no reason the PCV valve needs to pull the crankcase pressure from the valve cover. It could be plumbed into the lifter valley as was originally done on the early FE's. Heck even the early 221 and 260 small blocks pulled from the valley. I think that location was a carry over from the old days of road draft tubes.

Moon Equipment made millions of valve cover breathers for all kinds of engines. They used a green mesh material inside the breather to help separate the oil mist.

John
I plan to put install a baffle in the nice aluminum cover that was removed, a steel cover is installed now that has a baffle in it and it made a big difference with deflecting oil splash..

T-7ToNewOldB

I had to clearance my BRONCO valve clovers as there was contact. I also had to remove the internal vacuum splash guard.

I

jckkys

Bronco Guru
PCV has been around longer than people think. The Willys M38s had it in '49.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

Here's that filler extension tube.
I was having problems with the cheesy baffles on my aftermarket valve covers. Oil poured out of the PCV hose when I took it off.
The best fix is to put on a set of OEM steel valve covers. Those have really good baffles.
This is the price of vanity.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Mr-Gasket/720/2053/10002/-1

Attachments

• 1006141315.jpg
    1006141315.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 46

68ford

Bronco Guru
I have no breathers on my valve covers just a cap with a oring seal to add oil. I run a -10 hose from the mechanical fuel pump location(pump obviously home) to the bottom base plate of the air filter. Any crankcase pressure just goes down the carb and gets burnt. Being inside the air filter it's closed system as far as dirty unfiltered air. Been running that for 80k miles. Path of lease resistance. Under heavy load when more crankcase pressure is present, the engine is pulling the most through the carb. Pulls slightest vacuum on the crankcase due to the slight restriction of the air filter in theory.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I have no breathers on my valve covers just a cap with a oring seal to add oil. I run a -10 hose from the mechanical fuel pump location(pump obviously home) to the bottom base plate of the air filter. Any crankcase pressure just goes down the carb and gets burnt. Being inside the air filter it's closed system as far as dirty unfiltered air. Been running that for 80k miles. Path of lease resistance. Under heavy load when more crankcase pressure is present, the engine is pulling the most through the carb. Pulls slightest vacuum on the crankcase due to the slight restriction of the air filter in theory.
this sounds like the best option yet. oh but its an explorer timing cover.. maybe use a port on the intake that goes to the lifter valley..

68ford

Bronco Guru
Do you use a PCV valve anywhere?

No need with my set up. My set up all started with excessive oil consumption through my PCV valve. Due to my cam, my vacuum at idle it so low, the PCV valve would shut and it because a constant vacuum leak to the crank case sucking up oil vapor. Burned a qt per week driving a 25min commute. Plus all other normal driving a 22 yr old does. Ditched the PCV and it stopped burning oil 100 percent. Engine was new as well.