• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking Plastic Gas Tank

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Get a new 23 gal tank. If the rest of your truck is stock, get a plastic tank from a vendor.

Attachments

• rsz_img_4811.jpg
    rsz_img_4811.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 49

popedaddy

Loc.
Central Mississippi
i had the same thing happen about two months. i ordered a new 23 gallon at the advice of everyone else on here. other than the expense, im happy with it so far.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This on a '77 Don?
Or a swapped-in aftermarket tank maybe?
Got pics?

While I would be happy to sell you a new tank ;D, as I'm sure the other vendors would as well, make sure the leak is not just the o-ring under the sending unit.

If it's the seam, or other part of the actual tank, then yeah, it's patch-time or the perfect justification for the new tank.
But if it's just the sending unit seal, it could be $2 well spent. Well, 2 plus an envelope well spent anyway!

Here's what I'm talking about.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Sending_Unit_Seal
Can you tell if that's where it's leaking? That's a stock type with a retaining ring that you turn like a 1/4 turn or so.
An aftermarket tank might not use the same setup.

Paul

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Assuming it is not just the sending unit gasket:

I have repaired many plastic tanks.

If it has a crack, I have used a nail in a pair of vise grips and heat the head of the nail with a torch, use it like a welder and melt the tank back together the crack or small hole.

When they crack around the filler neck, this can be tougher or not feasable to plastic weld.

In that case, you can also use Seals-All http://www.biosafe-inc.com/sealall.htm

This stuff is a must have for a trail kit and will seal leaks on metal or plastic tanks even with a fuel leaking from the hole.

OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
This on a '77 Don?
Or a swapped-in aftermarket tank maybe?
Got pics?

While I would be happy to sell you a new tank ;D, as I'm sure the other vendors would as well, make sure the leak is not just the o-ring under the sending unit.

If it's the seam, or other part of the actual tank, then yeah, it's patch-time or the perfect justification for the new tank.
But if it's just the sending unit seal, it could be $2 well spent. Well, 2 plus an envelope well spent anyway!

Here's what I'm talking about.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Sending_Unit_Seal
Can you tell if that's where it's leaking? That's a stock type with a retaining ring that you turn like a 1/4 turn or so.
An aftermarket tank might not use the same setup.

Paul
I belive the chassis is a 68. So the main plastic tank may be after market and installed about 15 years ago. The EB had set for eight years in the AZ sun and what ever gas was in had become vapor long ago leaving Yellow Kake. When I removed the tank it showed stains that it had been leaking. I droped the tank removed the sending unit and cleaned it. The sending unit is held in place with three screws and the gasket was not in the best shape. I drilled three more holes in the metal flange holding the sending unit applyed aviation gasket sealer and installed it. I replaced the tank and put in five gal gas. I noticed a couple of drops of gas on the floor and said a few choice words. I put a pan under it but only the two drops ever showed. This a project on a budget and because of the couple of drops of gas coming from the tank I know it can not be trusted so it must come out again. I will get a new gasket and seal it futher with one of the two products listed here. With the price of tanks I am leaning to building a new metal tank in the future with the sending unit built into the top of the tank. Thanks for the imput. Don

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Throw it away! They sell new metal tanks for the same price nowadays. Them plastic ones are junk. I understand your on a budget but for $159 bucks you got a new steel tank from JBG. Nothing you do will fix a leaky tank. And nothing is more dangerous than a gas leak! In the bronco world $159 for a fix, plus a added safety bonus, is chicken feed.