• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking rear axle seals

grant_71

Bronco Guru
What gives, less than 600 miles on my totally fresh rear 9" and this weekend on my first off pavement adventure and the rear axle seals are leaking, i pulled the old ones, they look fine, i didn't do any hard wheeling, just about 80 miles of dirt road and trails and such. Any ideas? This is a pretty much stock 77 BB rear, no water in the oil, not overfilled etc.

Grant

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've had the same problem. How did you drive in the new seal? I have screwed up a few new ones by trying to drive them in with a drift. I made a nice seal driver for it in a lathe and now they drive in without distorting them. Make sure you have the right seal and it fits tight on the shaft. Also if you overfill the differential, the seals will leak.

jabranovich

Loc.
New Castle PA.
Did you lube the seals before sliding in the axles?Ifthey were dry and you started driving ,sometimes it will take the edge right off the edge of the seal and they will leak,also make sure your breather is open or it will build up preasure and make the seals leak.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Are these tapered bearings or sealed bearings? If they are tapered bearings then they are prone to leaking, especially after the axles have been installed and then pulled back out. Be sure everything is clean and that the bearing race is fully seated. I recently had one that was leaking right from the start (brand new axles with tapered bearings). A few weeks after it was installed I changed around the tires and pulled the drums off to see if I could see anything obvious. When I pulled the drum I noticed threads showing on the axles bolts. Apparently the bearing race didn't get fully seated because as soon as I tightened them up the leak stopped.

OP
OP
grant_71

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the ideas, i think the one that was leaking the worst was bent when installed, i put new ones in and lubed them, so we will see how the new ones hold up. But while i was in there i ran into some other issues...see my new post about setting a 9 in rear.

Grant