• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking transfer case (D20)

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Just had the transfer case rebuilt and it's still leaking at the rear through the shims. Not a crazy leak but I would still like to address it. I'm looking for any good tips. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2849.jpg
    IMG_2849.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 127

70_Steve

Old Guy
That stamped rear cover can bend at the bolt holes, just like a valve cover. Pull the rear cover and check it for straightness. I did mine and no more leaks.

Also, spray some kind of sealant on the shims. Pull the shims apart and clean. Then use some type of sealant (I've had good luck with HiTack spray) on one side of each shim and the rear cover. Assemble so there is sealant in between each shim.

Oh, and remember to use a thread sealant on the bolts. Most of the bolts on the Dana 20 are drilled through the case, requiring sealant on the bolts to keep them from leaking.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I also had mine rebuilt and when I filled it the bottom two bolts on the inspection plate leaked,so I pulled them and put thread sealer on them,no more leak :cool: