• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking Water Pump or Head Gasket

msommer001

I am looking at purchasing a 1974 bronco, on visual inspection I found a puddle of coolant in a pocket on the top left hand side of the water pump. Is there are way to determine if this is a leaky water pump or a head gasket?

Also, what other mechanical issues should I inspect before I purchase...

Thanks

nj_thusar

Contributor
Loc.
Asbury Park, NJ
In a pocket?

That could be nothing too. Ask if any hoses, thermostats, claps or refills of coolant have been added recently.

I put in a new thermostat two weeks ago and I still have a puddle of coolant in the upper left pocket, even a bumble bee is there from last year.....

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I am looking at purchasing a 1974 bronco, on visual inspection I found a puddle of coolant in a pocket on the top left hand side of the water pump. Is there are way to determine if this is a leaky water pump or a head gasket?

Also, what other mechanical issues should I inspect before I purchase...

Thanks

about the only way is to fire it up. clean up the mess as best you can, then look and see where it's comin from.
you can tell a lot about an engine, by the way it starts (should start easy), what kinds of noises it makes (ticks and knocks are bad), and what the exhaust looks like (smoke on start up? smoke under load? smoke with engine braking?) when in doubt, bring a mechanic with ya when you go to look at it.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Probably thermostat gasket or hose leaking. I have 4 Bronco's setting here at the house and all have a puddle in same place. I'd make sure it runs, drives or not and adjust price accordingly. High money, have it checked over if you can't do it yourself. Compression check is good or if you know how to read a vacuum gauge you can tell a lot about the engine. Check for rear main seal leaking, tranny leaks etc. Good Luck.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
More than likely its either a leaking intake manifold gasket or as the others mentioned t stat housing, hose or waterpump gasket leak. Use it as a point to offer less.
other things to consider/look at. 1. Get a test drive that will tell you a lot. 2. look at both floor boards for rust its a very common place for broncos to have rust. Usually easy to fix also. 3. look for anything that doesnt look right or like its been hacked up then ask the owner questions the rest is up to you