• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaky Rear Axle seal

bosshoff

Contributor
This Bronco sat dirty all winter. I grabbed it the other day, and there was a pool of diff oil under the passenger rear tire. I put my finger near the axle flange area, and it is indeed leaking from there (I thought it might be brake fluid at first). Now that I drove the truck, is there any chance I don't have to change this, or is it an absolute that the seal is shot. Could just sitting make it go bad?

Tire has been rotated in the pic. The leak shows at 1:30 on the tire.

Attachments

• Leaky.jpg
    Leaky.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 76

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Good time to check the vent on top of the axle as well to make sure its not plugged.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could be just the seal, but as stated above, it probably failed for a reason. Bad bearing, bent axle or axle with a groove at the sealing surface could be the reason for it. When you jack it up and give the tire a wiggle, what do you feel?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I had this problem with mine and it turned out to have a groove worn in the axle. I did some research and found a double lip seal that was narrower and didn't ride on the same place as the original. Replaced it and have had no problems. Ken

Attachments

• axle seal3.jpg
    axle seal3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 46
  • axle seal1.jpg
    axle seal1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 48
  • axle seal OS-1.37x2.37x0.31TB.jpg
    axle seal OS-1.37x2.37x0.31TB.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 46

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My housing cup was oblonged due to a previously failed bearing. Over time the new bearing slowly beat the cup into an egg shape vs round. After fighting it for several years I had to replace the cups.

Tim

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I had this problem with mine and it turned out to have a groove worn in the axle. I did some research and found a double lip seal that was narrower and didn't ride on the same place as the original. Replaced it and have had no problems. Ken

What was the part # for that double lipped seal?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I just went through this.
I replaced the wheel bearings and seals a month ago. Now the driver's side is leaking, as I was expecting it would. When I put in the seal, I had not used an appropriate driver, and distorted the metal shell of the seal.
Not using a real driver, and driving the seal in straight is the biggest reason for failure. It's not that difficult though. An appropriate driver can be a socket or piece of pipe, but it needs to be very close to the same outside diameter of the seal.