• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaky rear housing...

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
Well my housing is garbage... I broke an axle a while back and had to limp it home for a few miles, in doing so the tire had a terrible wobble (i could idle in 2nd at the most) do i think the end is toast since it wont hold gear lube no matter how many seals i put in, so... i just welded the wrap trap from WH onto the housing and i plan on putting on a back brace but is there a way i could fix this or will i have to resort to cuttin the ends off and welding new ones on or buying a new (used) housing for 500 bucks.... (stock width)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Should be able to pick up a new housing for less than $500 and definetly a used one should be way cheaper. But I would consider just replacing the housing end there only about $80. One other option would be to go with tapered wheel bearings as the seal is on the outside of the bearing. depending on what shafts you currently have you may need new shafts.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
$500 for a used housing? It should be more like $50, maybe $150 for a large bearing. $500 should buy you a very nice new housing with some fancy stuff.

If you want to try and save it, they do sell replacment ends that you could install. Aligning it and keeping it try as you weld them on is the tricky part.