• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaky rear main seal 96 Explorer 5.0 swap

jsulse

Loc.
Creston, CA
Before I installed the engine I put a new teflon rear main seal and pan gasket. It's leaking but don't know how bad. Darn! Even made sure the crank was smooth with no scratches or wear ring from previous seal.
The truck has been fired up a few times with a total of 20 mins run time while hunting down final issues.
Had a clutch go bad from leaking rear in the past.
How much leaking can I get by with? Just maybe weeping...
Is this new seal/sleeve in my future? http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FPGBS40619_0147513252

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Are you sure it isn't a pan leak? In my experience the 1 piece seals work pretty well.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Did you do anything else to the engine before installing? Like... change intake manifolds? There are a couple places on the rear of the engine that can leak oil and look like a rear main seal leak.

OP
OP
J

jsulse

Loc.
Creston, CA
Will double check origin of leak.
At first glance looked to be coming from rear main. Everything is really clean so should be easy to pin point leak.
Did not replace any others gaskets other than upper intake.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I had issues with 1 piece pan gasket on the bronco oil pan, swapped oil pan to a 5.0l all is good ( this is after changing the rear main and pan gasket twice)