• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Least Crap Turn Signal Switch

AC932

Contributor
Relatively recently had my right brake light stop working, traced it to the switch, and bought the Toms Turn Signal Switch. It's better than before (Now I always get at least one brake light), but I'd rather it work properly.

What's everyone's opinions/experience on different vendor's turn signal switches?

RVB

Contributor
Genuine Ford replacement parts are the best.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Yeah, the aftermarkets aren't the greatest. Usually, it is something simple why they aren't working though like they have bad connections at the rivet ends. Loose. What I've noticed over the years.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
There are a few NOS Motorcraft switches on ebey that are all manual transmission types and run from $120 up. Not much of a selection. Standard Motor Products is usually better than most of the other reproductions. RockAuto has these, but again only the manual trans type.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I went thru 3 "non- Motorcraft" switches in one year! Thought I had other wiring issues... finally bought a Motorcraft and I'm still using it over 20 yrs later although the blinkers don't cancel... :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At least for them not cancelling you don't need to replace the whole switch. Definitely keep that switch!
Just replace the cancelling lever/arm thingy.

Most call it a "cam" and so I suppose that's it's name. But I call the little nubbins on the steering wheel the cam, and this lever arm thingy whatever sounds good that day.
But if you say cancelling cam, most will know what you're talking about.

Looks like this on the left: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/s?keyword=cancelling+cam
The thing I call the cam is on the right. Though the replacements are not original style, which at least on earlier models had two lobes. Perhaps the later Broncos got a single lobe, but I don't know. Maybe someone with a '77 can chime in on that.

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
You're right Paul ‐ the only really good part left on my column is that switch!! lol

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So it's two lobes all the way. Thanks for the confirmation.
Probably yet another case of the only thing becoming available is either from another application, or made wrong. Probably from a Mustang, like so many other parts we now have access to for Broncos.
I'm thinking of the outside door button assemblies for one. Looks the same outwardly, but has a completely different "button ratio" when compared to the EB. Makes it extremely hard to push the button after changing to the new "reproduction" stuff.

These single lobe cancelers that we all sell do the job of course, but have not used one myself so can't say if the feel and function are different as well.

Paul

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I have used both and prefer the two lobe. If you take a slight fork in a road, it will cancel where the single lobe may not even move the lobe outside of the arm....

OP
OP
AC932

AC932

Contributor
Fleabay and Nicks it is! Thankfully I do have a manual tranny, but I don't think I'm ready to fork out $120. I do still have my old FOMOCO switch, but sadly it only turns on the passenger brake light.

RVB

Contributor
If you are looking for NOS Genuine Ford replacement turn signal switches, it is helpful to have the correct Ford part numbers:

1966 - 1970 Manual Transmission = C5OZ-13341-B
This is the same switch used on 65/66 Mustangs M/T

1971 - 1973 Manual Transmission = D0TZ-13341-C

1974 - 1977 Manual Transmission = D3TZ-13341-A

!973 Auto Transmission = D0TZ-13341-C

1974 - 1977 Auto Transmission = D3TZ-13341-B

Thanks, Rex

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1966 - 1970 Manual Transmission = C5OZ-13341-B
This is the same switch used on 65/66 Mustangs M/T

1971 - 1973 Manual Transmission = D0TZ-13341-C

1974 - 1977 Manual Transmission = D3TZ-13341-A

!973 Auto Transmission = D0TZ-13341-C

1974 - 1977 Auto Transmission = D3TZ-13341-B

Did you get those two reversed Rex? I don't know my engineering numbers very well, but it looks like those two should be flip-flopped.
And in fact, it also looks like the -A and -B should be swapped as well. One would think that the '74-'77 model would be the higher revision letter, but maybe not in this case.

Paul