• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LED "inserts" for existing old school off road lights?

MartyG

Bronco Guru
I was wondering if anyone makes LED kits that would swap into old school light cans like mine:

If not, maybe I have a new design product, huh?

I'm imagining if so, they wouldn't need ballasts or heavy wiring as they would draw so little amps, right?

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Kc makes inserts but they are like $300 each light. I live those Per-Lux louvered lights though. If you are going to get rid of them let me know! :)

OP
OP
MartyG

MartyG

Bronco Guru
Kc makes inserts but they are like $300 each light. I live those Per-Lux louvered lights though. If you are going to get rid of them let me know! :)

$300 each?! Well F-that idea. I love them too by the way...but I'll let you know if ever I do ;)

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What type of bulbs do those use?

There are many sizes of automotive bulbs available in LED, it may be as simple as swapping out the bulbs.

Count me in as another that likes those old school Per-Lux lights.

Grote still makes those, they are the 200 series.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I did an HID conversion on an old set of CEBEI lights a long time ago. Had H1 bulbs in it and had to make new holders to hold the HID in the right place. To make the optics work you need to put the kernal of light of the HID in the same spot as the filimit of the old bulb. A little rework to the back of the housing to hold the ignitor. I had myself a dirt cheap set of HID off-road lights. Optics were still jacked, but in a good way. The main beam was a bit of a bowtie pattern, and the had massive overall glare. So they did a pretty good job of lighting ahead of you and quite a bit of all around as well. Walls, tops of trees, side trails, fence lines. Absolutly could not use if anybody was in front of you, they were totally blinding. Probably lacked some UV filtering as well. A proper lighting engineer would cringe at the results. Completely unsuitable for street use even in daylight.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Check with Bajabronco on this site. We got some really nice LEDs from Rigid for this year's NORRA 1000 and he retrofitted them into the Per Lux housings on our racer.

They worked great!

Todd Z.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Yep. I know about the grotes but there is something cool about having the old school per lux on the lense. Lol. But i built my bronco like it came from the ear!y 80's. You know before all the neon pink and green crap when most off road accessories were so cool!!;)

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
led replacement

there are plenty of replacement bulbs I found a LED version of the H-4 bulb on amazon fit right into some second gen KC`s under 20 bucks

OP
OP
MartyG

MartyG

Bronco Guru
there are plenty of replacement bulbs I found a LED version of the H-4 bulb on amazon fit right into some second gen KC`s under 20 bucks

Can I swap those and just use my existing lighting harness?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The big thing with LED is keeping them cool. If you overheat an LED they will fail. And they are by far the most sensitive to overheating. Looks at the cheap LED conversion bulbs and many will have cooling fans on the heat sinks. The ribbed bodies on the LED light bars are for cooling. Heat dissipation is a huge factor in high power LED lighting. The wires going to the LED are not that important so long as they can handle the wattage, which should be a lot less than the old bulbs.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The big thing with LED is keeping them cool. If you overheat an LED they will fail. And they are by far the most sensitive to overheating. Looks at the cheap LED conversion bulbs and many will have cooling fans on the heat sinks. The ribbed bodies on the LED light bars are for cooling. Heat dissipation is a huge factor in high power LED lighting. The wires going to the LED are not that important so long as they can handle the wattage, which should be a lot less than the old bulbs.

Would it be a good idea to cut away some of the Bronco headlight buckets for better air flow with LED headlights?