• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LED instrument panel light feedback

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've gotten some mixed reviews of LED lights in various applications. The LED headlights work well but the instrument illumination LEDs have been problematic for the builders doing my frame off. I know the household LEDs are constantly improving, so the same may be true of automotive LEDs. The dimming feature controlled by the main headlight switch may be a problem when used with LEDs.. The LEDs in my house had to be replaced a couple times along with the switch before I got the bathroom dimmers to work.
I would also like a very bright backup bulb in the tail light housing. It could illuminate objects behind me. Brighter than OE turn signal/brake/tail lights would be nice too. Has anyone had experience using available LED bulbs in these positions?

Rusty_S85

I have used LED bulbs in lots of applications for my personal vehicles.

Ive used 80W LED projector bulbs, 1156`s in my '78 Mercury for the cornering light that lights up around corners when you put your blinker on. This bulb gets quite hot but it puts out a ton of light. Problem is it is quite long and wont fit in all applications.

For headlights, I avoid them as they are mostly miss in getting one that will function properly with your headlight housing to project a proper beam pattern.

brake lights and turnsignals I use conventional bulbs as I use OE flasher and LED bulbs don't tend to provide enough of a load to work. If you are not concerned with this you can run one of the variable load flashers that will flash no matter how much of a load you have.

dash lights, I use 5 smd chips that provide a 360* illumination with great results. I have a set of warm whites installed in my '56 using BA9s sockets and a set in my '82 using T10 sockets. Strangely enough the T10`s do dim but not a whole lot, the BA9s dim like regular bulbs. All from the same factory so I cant explain that.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info, it helps. There are still a couple of my original questions left unanswered. The reverse/backup lights bright enough to illuminate objects behind the Bronco, will still be worth pursuing. The 1156 projector LED would seem to work for that, if it fits in the tail light housing, and the tail light lens doesn't interfere. I've been using large truck type flashers for years to work with trailers. The extra lights on the trailer make the OE flasher cycle unnaturally fast so I'll keep those. I also rent U-Haul trailers occasionally to move large loads and they don't have LED lights. The abillity to dim the instrument illumination lights with the OE switch is worth retaining, and I know only some LEDs are dim-able, and they require a special switch. Dim-able LED BA9s come in many versions. What specifically have you been using? The headlight buckets are open in the back, so I don't understand how the headlight "housing" won't allow LED headlights to project a proper beam pattern.

Rusty_S85

Thanks for the info, it helps. There are still a couple of my original questions left unanswered. The reverse/backup lights bright enough to illuminate objects behind the Bronco, will still be worth pursuing. The 1156 projector LED would seem to work for that, if it fits in the tail light housing, and the tail light lens doesn't interfere. I've been using large truck type flashers for years to work with trailers. The extra lights on the trailer make the OE flasher cycle unnaturally fast so I'll keep those. I also rent U-Haul trailers occasionally to move large loads and they don't have LED lights. The abillity to dim the instrument illumination lights with the OE switch is worth retaining, and I know only some LEDs are dim-able, and they require a special switch. Dim-able LED BA9s come in many versions. What specifically have you been using? The headlight buckets are open in the back, so I don't understand how the headlight "housing" won't allow LED headlights to project a proper beam pattern.

The 1156 projector LED might work they are very bright. I used regular 25 smd 1156 in other vehicles that were bright as well.

These are the ones I got, seems they have gotten cheaper when I got them like 5 years ago they were pushing $50.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Brighte...535916?hash=item27dbdecb6c:g:0GkAAOxy3zNSpmy6

the dimmable ones I couldn't speak on as I didn't concern myself with that I just picked up what was available as color choices can be limited especially if you are going warm white.

If you want ones that are dimmable look at the voltage working range, if it says something like 2v to 18v then they will dim, if they say 12v to 18v they will dim some but not fully.

The housing is the lens of the headlight itself, they will fit but the light pattern of LEDs are not the same as a LED as LEDs focus their light pattern in a narrow beam where regular bulbs emit light evenly all around. Housings designed for conventional bulbs wont be focused right to make the best out of LED bulbs compared to actually using a housing that is LED compatible.

Ive seen numerous ones people were wondering why their headlights were so dim not realizing the LED bulbs they had were bright when you look at them in the headlight housing but when it came to putting light on the road it wasn't much brighter than oe bulbs.

Another thing to remember when going with LED match the color to the lens. If you are putting them in your tail lights make sure you get red bulbs if you go white your tail lights will look pink instead of red. then amber for amber lenses or clear lenses then if you have clear lenses but want amber lights.

They also sell LED bulbs that are color shift, I thought of using on my 56 which they are white on the park light circuit but they will switch and flash amber.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• 2015-02-06 19.16.20.jpg
    2015-02-06 19.16.20.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20181125_101443.jpg
    20181125_101443.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20181125_181706.jpg
    20181125_181706.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20181125_181747.jpg
    20181125_181747.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20181125_181750.jpg
    20181125_181750.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 13

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm still using the old tall 50w halogen bulbs from Osram in my stock backup lamp housings and they're amazing! Have tried the newer style that still claim to be 50w output, but are shaped exactly like an 1156 bulb instead of having the elongated shape and they have so far been less than impressive.
Never tried modern LED's in that setup and the old school ones were crappy as Rusty mentioned about the beam emitted by the bulb itself not playing nice with the lens and reflector design.
I've seen some of the more recent ones with LED elements all around the housing that look much better.

The '68 has some wicked little projector beams that Doug mounted under the bumper. They throw a ton of light everywhere and very brightly. Great as a backup lamp up to a point. As a trail lamp they'd be spectacular, but in general around town use they're a bit on the bright side for anyone passing by.
I'm experimenting with different amounts of partial blocking of the lenses to see if I can cut down on their vertical beam spread. I like the wide horizontal spread, but don't need to see the tops of trees and alert low flying aircraft that I'm backing up. They're quite blinding to anyone behind me. I know, I've been there!
It's a low priority at the moment though because it's sure nice when they light things up!

Paul

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
There's a lot to digest there. Are Super Bright LEDs or Hi Po Parts Garage a reliable source of info in making selections?
After thinking about it a diffused backup light beam may be preferable to a tight spot light beam.

Rusty_S85

I'm still using the old tall 50w halogen bulbs from Osram in my stock backup lamp housings and they're amazing! Have tried the newer style that still claim to be 50w output, but are shaped exactly like an 1156 bulb instead of having the elongated shape and they have so far been less than impressive.
Never tried modern LED's in that setup and the old school ones were crappy as Rusty mentioned about the beam emitted by the bulb itself not playing nice with the lens and reflector design.
I've seen some of the more recent ones with LED elements all around the housing that look much better.

The '68 has some wicked little projector beams that Doug mounted under the bumper. They throw a ton of light everywhere and very brightly. Great as a backup lamp up to a point. As a trail lamp they'd be spectacular, but in general around town use they're a bit on the bright side for anyone passing by.
I'm experimenting with different amounts of partial blocking of the lenses to see if I can cut down on their vertical beam spread. I like the wide horizontal spread, but don't need to see the tops of trees and alert low flying aircraft that I'm backing up. They're quite blinding to anyone behind me. I know, I've been there!
It's a low priority at the moment though because it's sure nice when they light things up!

Paul

Yep some of the newer bulbs that have fans on them for the headlight they have LED chipsets positioned more like a regular halogen bulb that gives better beam pattern than the older ones. But how many people will spend $100 - $300 for the better LED bulbs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul, are those Osram bulbs still available

They were up to a few years ago at least. But they were harder to find and I didn't buy any because I didn't need them at the time.
I'll see if I still have the Osram catalog to get the part number, but it's likely online if it still exists.
I remember coming across them one day in the catalog rack at work and thought, "hmmm, those look like they fit the standard socket and it says here they're 50 watt halogens!!!!"
So I just had to buy a box. Think I got six, so maybe I've got a set left over. Have to look.

Paul