• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Left turning signal goes on when brake is pushed

JGoodwin

Loc.
Simi Valley, Ca
Every time I push the brake my left turning signal lights up. I've read in a past thread it's most likely the wiring harness in the steering column. So I bought a new one, installed it, double checked the wires everything looked good. Tested it out and same thing. I pushed the brake a left turning signal lights up. Can someone please help me out on this one.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You mean the indicator lights up? How do the front and rear outside bulbs work?

OP
OP
JGoodwin

JGoodwin

Loc.
Simi Valley, Ca
The indicator light goes on, front and back turning signals stay on. They stay on for as long as I hold the break down.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The indicator light goes on, front and back turning signals stay on. They stay on for as long as I hold the break down.

That is a complex issue. Either you have multiple problems or a wiring error. No single bad ground can cause this.

You need to take a close look at the wires going into the column connector. What year is the Bronco, so I can post the correct diagram?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
1969 bronco

'66-'69 Column Connections
Blue=12v from turn flasher to turn switch, circuit #44
white-blue=right front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #2
orange-blue=right rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #5
green-white=left front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #3
green-orange=left rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #9
red-black=12v brake switch to turn signal switch, circuit #810
yellow=12v headlight switch to horn switch, circuit #460
blue-yellow=horn switch to horn, circuit #482

The turn indicators should be attached to the front turn terminals only which shouldn't be powered by the brake lights. Make sure the front and rear turn wires are not swapped in the column connector.

Attachments

• column-color.JPG
    column-color.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
JGoodwin

JGoodwin

Loc.
Simi Valley, Ca
Found out a little more. If I pull my light switch out half way my front amber lights go on with my tail lights. When I pull the light switch all the way out I have head lights and tail lights but no amber lights. I'm not sure if that's normal. I would think the amber lights stay on in both positions.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The front and rear turn signals are separate circuits. The indicator is wired to the front signals. The only other place they all meet is at the hazard switch. You could unplug the haz sw and see it that clears it up.

OP
OP
JGoodwin

JGoodwin

Loc.
Simi Valley, Ca
I pulled the hazard switch and there was no change. I cleaned the wire connections and reinstalled. Pushed brake and no light, but also no brake light on same side.

OP
OP
JGoodwin

JGoodwin

Loc.
Simi Valley, Ca
Never mind, Brake light is back on with me doing no changes, amber light is back on also. Starting back from the beginning.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Somewhere, the green-white and green-orange wires are connected together. You'll need to trace them out.