• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Let's Play "Name That Sound!" - Belt Issue?

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
I got the Bronco back from the shop after getting a new MagnaFlow exhaust installed. After a day of driving, I started hearing a clicking/chirping; I think it might be from either the alternator or power steering belt(s), but I couldn't replicate the sound with the hood up and hitting the throttle on the carburetor. I have gotten the belt squeal in the past but it would only happen for a second or two when accelerating; it hasn't been consistent like this. The belts look in good condition, and they seem pretty tight; I don't think they are stretched out much.

Here is a link to the YouTube video if the attached video doesn't work:

Has anyone else had a similar issue like this?

View attachment bronco-chirping.MOV

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
Have you looked to see if new exhaust is making contact with something underneath? Or if there is a loose hanger/bracket.

OP
OP
bostonbronconut

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
I just went underneath and found that one of the brake cables was resting against a muffler and a tailpipe might be hitting a bracket but there might be a gap. Sorry for the bad photos.

Attachments

• tailpipe.jpg
    tailpipe.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
bostonbronconut

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
I'm going to go under again to see if the exhaust gaskets moved or blew; I'll also make sure the exhaust manifold is on tight just in case the shop did something to it.