• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lift gate latch/lock question...

arex

Loc.
Colorado
This is what I have:

tEr7TCm.jpg

None of the keys I received with the vehicle fit the lock. Fortunately, it's currently unlocked, and the locked spare carrier prevents it from being opened more than a couple inches. I haven't been able to look at other Broncos to see how their lift gates are set up. To clarify, this is a '67 EB.

All of the replacements I see look like this:

ouDbzD0.jpg

Are these a one-size-fits-all sort of replacement, or are they all supposed to be this way? Do I have a "normal" latch and lock, or is it a weird setup?

I noticed that there are soft-top snaps on the body. Is it possible I have an aftermarket hard top or something? It's a steel top, not fiberglass.

Thanks in advance for any info. I'm comfortable with things mechanical, but I'm pretty new to Broncos.

Last edited:

SHX669

Bronco Guru
You have an " early " top ; key and handle are seperate. You can probably have a new key made at a lockshop or have the " tumbler" " rekeyed".

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
That is not a Bronco handle / lock . Off some other vehicle or even a garage door handle ... seriously . The '66 , early '67 handle had no lock in it & had a link to the separate lock . The new handle you pictured is all thats available
& should work fine . Or if the handle's lock you have isn't frozen a lock smith can make you a new key .

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
I remember seeing the double lift gate handle 15 or 20 years ago and that was all you could find.Now you can find a single just like original handle and also while you are buying get a new lock for the glove box and then you will have the same key instead of three keys.Lets see if I got it right,ignition and doors use same key and rear liftgate and glove box lock use the sort of round head key.Bronco Graveyard sells a kit I think and maybe wild Horses sells one also.I don't ever lock my Bronco anymore so if I am wrong on the correct key to lock I am sure more than two or three people will correct me but look at Bronco Graveyard in New York to check and see if they have them.Good luck

clinem03

I have the same handle on my liftgate and picked up a NOS tumbler to install. Does anyone have any idea on how to get the original handle separated to install the new lock tumbler?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
This is what I have:

tEr7TCm.jpg

None of the keys I received with the vehicle fit the lock. Fortunately, it's currently unlocked, and the locked spare carrier prevents it from being opened more than a couple inches. I haven't been able to look at other Broncos to see how their lift gates are set up. To clarify, this is a '67 EB.

All of the replacements I see look like this:

ouDbzD0.jpg

Are these a one-size-fits-all sort of replacement, or are they all supposed to be this way? Do I have a "normal" latch and lock, or is it a weird setup?

I noticed that there are soft-top snaps on the body. Is it possible I have an aftermarket hard top or something? It's a steel top, not fiberglass.

Thanks in advance for any info. I'm comfortable with things mechanical, but I'm pretty new to Broncos.

I have the same handle on my liftgate and picked up a NOS tumbler to install. Does anyone have any idea on how to get the original handle separated to install the new lock tumbler?

Pull the access cover off of the inside of the lift gate and make sure the linkage between the lock and the handle is there. If not, you'll have to make one. As mentioned above, 66 and 67' that got 66' left overs had them.

20191025_092743_zpsttvs69sh.jpg

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got one of those new style ones from WH some time ago. Seems they don't sell it anymore. The thing I liked about it was that it will spin 360° in
either direction, which means you can set it up however you want. I never thought pointed up closed looked right, so I configured mine the other
way around. Pointed up is open, and pointed to the left is closed.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
It's been many years since I've another OE lift gate lock. I kept mine original so the lift gate uses the same key as the glove box. Making the cylinder work with a given key is easy. The one in the photo above looks like a door lock.

Chloe01

I think it's worth checking exactly the same locks with others and checking the keys. Perhaps the lock is wedged or it's just defective. I can say for sure that the parts do not dock when in contact with each other. In any case, you need advice, unless of course you are a professional in small metal details. And I took a consultation from a locksmith too https://mylocallocksmithtx.com/my-local-locksmith-in-grapevine /, who solved the problem for me and told me what to do so that there would be no such situations again. My lock was constantly swallowing the key and I couldn't open the door normally. I changed the lock, I have a new pair of keys working perfectly.

Last edited: