• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lift Gate Latch Operation

jeremywatco

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Tired of my lift gate rattling around all crazy....

Ordered new gas stuts for it to replace the ones that came with it that were junk... helped a TON... but still having issues.

Upon further inspeciton it doesnt appear that my lift gate latches are working properly. The latches go out just a little but leaving room for the gate to move around. It was my understanding in the locked position the latches were forced all the way out holding it tight.. mine dont do that. In fact in the "locked position" i have a ton of free play. See video.

Is there an adjustment for this? Appears I have an early 66-68 top on my '73 bronco.

The latches have these protrusions on them that will prevent them from extending further. My buddy has a '74 and his slide all the way out.

y4mIXjJiFsIFGpiQ2rNZfkU3zIydlfCdcq_vQLBJhn3Le3scYwA6gCEQEQ-lWIg2PslaWHM1EbWCSrd8P7xZJkOCdjBN89F34CjdRt9hCe4nJTFJWqDYdnPvrgzfeo4iwusnyU6z4WktOXVCO2GkdHzQr25nWF6uq8JtC29e8cZQCa9li50DhyZoWcC0vmYFZzY

Last edited:

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
That is the roll pin that allows the spring to apply or remove pressure to the plate to engage the latch depending on direction handle is turned. I would start with a wire brush followed
With some lithium or silicone spray on all of those moving parts.

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
Just watched the video. Not sure about that year but on my 73 there is spring tension against that rod and latch that keeps it closed and tight against the striker plate on the hard tip. Either that year is different or that latch is not installed properly.