• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lift kit question

661buster1963

I’m not sure lift height and gear ratio are functions of each other. Tire size and gear are, plus there 3 rather different stock gears, so “stock gear “ needs a little definition. You need a few more numbers bro.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I think 33's are close to the limit with stock gearing, I have 33x12.50x15 and my gear 3:50. Your lift question has nothing to do with gearing, it's more for tire size.

OP
OP
74bronk

74bronk

I think 33's are close to the limit with stock gearing, I have 33x12.50x15 and my gear 3:50. Your lift question has nothing to do with gearing, it's more for tire size.

Sorry i meant to mention tire size.... currently i have a 5.5” lift (that is blocked up” in the rear ��) from previous owner. Stock gears, C4 automatic, I believe they are 3.5. It currently has 35’s tires on... it looks great but the ride is awful, especially when you hit an incline or hill. Im looking to improve drive ability and less wear and tear on drive train but still have a nice stance and decent sized tires. Not interested in changing gear ratio’s. I think the above post may have answered my question... that said what lift kit would you guys recommend that absolutely improves driving and the ride? Thanks ��

OP
OP
74bronk

74bronk

Sorry i meant to mention tire size.... currently i have a 5.5” lift (that is blocked up” in the rear 🙄) from previous owner. Stock gears, C4 automatic, I believe they are 3.5. It currently has 35’s tires on... it looks great but rides like a hunk of shit especially when you hit an incline. Im looking to improve drive ability and less wear and tear on drive train but still have a nice stance and decent sized tires. Not interested in changing gear ratio’s. I think the above post may have answered my question... that said what would lift kit would you guys recommend that absolutely improves driving and the ride? Thanks 😊

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have 35's with 3.5sl and 2 bl, wish I stuck with 1 inch sl and 2 bl. I'm cut as well so.
But lift does not change power needed really.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Sorry i meant to mention tire size.... currently i have a 5.5” lift (that is blocked up” in the rear 🙄) from previous owner. Stock gears, C4 automatic, I believe they are 3.5. It currently has 35’s tires on... it looks great but rides like a hunk of shit especially when you hit an incline. Im looking to improve drive ability and less wear and tear on drive train but still have a nice stance and decent sized tires. Not interested in changing gear ratio’s. I think the above post may have answered my question... that said what would lift kit would you guys recommend that absolutely improves driving and the ride? Thanks 😊
Most folks say the sweet spot for 33" tires and a C-4 is 4.11 gears
If you want to improve drivability and less wear on the drivetrain and no interest in changing gears from a 3.50 I would say no bigger than a 31" tire.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Most folks say the sweet spot for 33" tires and a C-4 is 4.11 gears
If you want to improve drivability and less wear on the drivetrain and no interest in changing gears from a 3.50 I would say no bigger than a 31" tire.

x2. Nothing larger than 31" tires if you are not willing to re-gear and worried about performance on hills.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
With 35s and a c-4 4:56 is what you want for a gear ratio. If you swap in an od tranny bump the gears to 4:88.

triracer67

Contributor
Curious why don’t you regear? If they are “stock,” they are fifty years old and seen there fair share of use. Replacing the rear gear on a Ford 9” is easy, and easily done by someone with zero mechanical knowledge. Buying a completely built ready to bolt in carrier can be had for 500-1000 dollars. Obviously the front is more challenging. But, will you ever put in four wheel drive? Regearing makes a huge difference in drive ability. Why swap the entire lift?

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
x2. Nothing larger than 31" tires if you are not willing to re-gear and worried about performance on hills.
I have been running 33 since I've owned my 74 and it has no problem with performance. I would not go any bigger than the 33 on it, but if he keeps his 5.5 inch lift 31 will look interesting;D , he could go with a 285/75/16 which is in-between a 31 and a 33.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I have been running 33 since I've owned my 74 and it has no problem with performance. I would not go any bigger than the 33 on it, but if he keeps his 5.5 inch lift 31 will look interesting;D , he could go with a 285/75/16 which is in-between a 31 and a 33.

You'd have even better performance if you at least went to 4.10s. But some flatlanders can get away with taller gears.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
You'd have even better performance if you at least went to 4.10s. But some flatlanders can get away with taller gears.
Totally agree, I was thinking 4.10s or 4.56s, for use in the dunes. I have used the 74 up in the hills here in Washington, and its preformed very well.
But I can feel with lower gears the little 302 will probably happier ;D

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Totally agree, I was thinking 4.10s or 4.56s, for use in the dunes. I have used the 74 up in the hills here in Washington, and its preformed very well.
But I can feel with lower gears the little 302 will probably happier ;D

I ran 33s and 3.50 in my '70 for a while and it really struggled on 6+% grades. I was down into 3rd gear with my NP435. Now I run 35s and 4.56 and the difference is night and day.

I run a 460 in my '79 with 33s and 3.50 gears. Even with 500 ft. lbs of torque it is a bit handicapped by the gears, but is nice on the interstate. If I ever need to go into a differential again, I will likely do 4.10s. But I don't do much towing with that truck anymore so it hasn't been a big deal.