• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lift Off Hinges - Stainless V Duffs?

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
i don't get it.
I thought gettin a bronk was a kinda diy idea.
I made some up froma spare pair. @ 50 - 250$ I just can't go the scratch.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
chrisful.... a LOT of guys don't have a machine shop at home available to them, or TIG/MIG/AC/DC, or a garage/shop, or ... to do home-fab work...

OP
OP
M

marjama

Contributor
i don't get it.
I thought gettin a bronk was a kinda diy idea.
I made some up froma spare pair. @ 50 - 250$ I just can't go the scratch.

Everyone has a different reason for owning a Bronco...you can turn it into just about anything, and it spans from DIY to full blown builds from scratch. That's what I love about this community!

I'm all for DIY and have the skills to modify stock hinges (geez, probably could even make new ones from scratch?), but for the amount of money and time I'm spending on my truck, I'm not really interested in the aesthetic of modified factory hinges, or spending my time on that particular project. To each their own though!

Last edited:

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Last 2 comments:
"...the aesthetic of modified..."
no mig/tig here - vise, hand file, hack saw, hammer, etc.

May B I better pay some 1 else to do my thinkin?
No. Just like a woman is handy (she can sew, make X-Mass wreath frm gatherin stuff in the yrd? we can put a lill time into a "project"). Bronks have meant "mine" since the beginning.

That's Y the mystique - my 'bet' anyway.
U gamble?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Do what ya want and have fun doing it...

just trying to point out (you aren't understanding this) that some don't have the space, tools, etc, etc to do this type of task.

Have yourself a good night...

No Hay

Bronco Guru
chrisful.... a LOT of guys don't have a machine shop at home available to them, or TIG/MIG/AC/DC, or a garage/shop, or ... to do home-fab work...

Ditto. After 35 years, I consider myself an excellent electrician, but I've never had the desire to be a machinist or fabricator.

Love my stainless quick release hinges I purchased. They look and operate great.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Do you bore your own blocks, turn your cranks? Just wondering...

I think we all stop somewhere.

Even the most competent machinist probably buys his pistons from someone else... :)

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
"...no mig/tig here - vise, hand file, hack saw, hammer, etc...."
we're talkin door hinges...

Jamie Chriss

I have the stainless ones, it took a bunch of time tweaking them to work. I think Tom's and Duffs are beefier but more factory correct, I think.

OP
OP
M

marjama

Contributor
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the conversation...ended up buying the stainless set after thinking about it too much. No big deals to be had, especially once you factor in shipping (man shipping has gotten spendy this year!). I just went with the aesthetic I wanted since there was no real negative feedback!

OP
OP
M

marjama

Contributor
Hmm...do you guys think the universe is trying to tell me something about my decision to go with the stainless Drake parts?

The stainless hinges showed up this week, and overall they look pretty well made. They are welded assemblies that are ground and polished. Unfortunately one was quite tight to rotate and disassemble - attached is what I found. Inside they use a flanged bushing and sleeve bushing in series, and the top one is split and deformed. I haven't decided what to do just yet, but this is the kind of thing that frustrates me...quality control is really not that hard.

The pin on these measures to be ~8.5mm / 0.335" and the fit with the bushing is not particularly tight. A 0.341" gauge pin fits the bushing side. Neither is really a rod size I have sitting around the shop, so the alignment trick is going be a bit tougher with these!

Just thought I'd share here in case anyone is reading this thread in the future! Drake has been hit or miss for me, and these more or less fit that pattern.

Attachments

• PXL_20201209_040358570 (1).jpg
    PXL_20201209_040358570 (1).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 37

nvrstuk

Contributor
That sucks, sorry to hear that Marcus... dang, why is a little QC so hard to get now-a-days?? Not like we're paying rock bottom prices for some of this stuff.

I'd send the one back AFTER they have shipped you the new one so you can compare it. For the price you shouldn't have to start off with a "deformed" part... :(