• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lift question

Specklebelly

I am looking at buying some new bumpers and exhaust for my Bronco and needing to know if it's lifted and how much. Attached is a photo of one of the connections of the body to the frame below the front floor pan. I am guessing this may be a 1" body lift but I don't know what this would look like on a stock Bronco. Do I have a 1" body lift or is this stock?

Also any tips on how to determine if I have a suspension lift on the Bronco?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, original rubber body mount (called an "insulator" or "cushion" by ford I think?) and it may even be a bit sagged.

You can measure all 8 of them to see if they're equal height still or not. They should be 3/4" tall when in good shape.
Anything over 3/4" then is a body lift. Most older body lifts are separate pucks that are obviously add-ons. Modern 1" body lifts are usually integrated into the cushion so are just a taller version (1 3/4") of what you have now.

FYI there are always some kind of insulating device under body-on-frame mounts like ours. The exceptions are things like pickup beds that are often bolted directly to the frame. But for noise/vibration/harshness the body cabs and such are insulated with rubber from the factory and either rubber or polyurethane through the aftermarket.
Old Jeeps used to just have simple very thin square pads that were more for isolating than actually cushioning, but there was still something there. Even though considered just a "utility vehicle" by Ford, they still wanted to have a little more insulation and comfort so put bigger bushings in and used a stiffer frame rather than relying on the body to stiffen the chassis.

Paul

armynavy17

Contributor
As for the suspension lift. Take measurements from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame. Stock measures about 7" in the front and 6" in the back. Though that measurement can vary 1/2" or so in either direction and still be considered stock.