• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lifting the body off? Questions?

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have all the body bolts off. The back two broke but the rest came right out. I think that the body would lift right off. The only way I have is to lift the body up and off is with an engine hoist. The last time we did this it came off pretty easy.

My question is this. If I am able to lift it off with the doors on, can I do it without welding supports across the tub? Will it stay in shape or should I go ahead and weld some 1" x 1" tubing side to side and back to front? Just across the door openings?

Any thoughts or experience doing this? I would greatly appreciate any info as I am already dinged up and trying to do more than I probably should (physically). %)

Bronc937

I just took my tub off the frame today and set it on a rotisserie. I used the trusses of my shop and attached hoists from two points. This made it really easy to lift off. As for bracing, I would suggest the more the better. That body is very flexy especially near the back of the doors and across the floor. Even if you have the doors on, I would be afraid to tweak it even a little. You might pop some seams at the least or worse yet mess up body alignment. Just my opinion.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'd say you do need to bolt or weld some support .. Because what I'd fear is that one of the door would open up some how due to the body flexing .. Just better safe than Sorry.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's a near perfect body with 70,000 original miles garage kept. I think I will tack in a few braces.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
X2 on adding braces. body will bend. Doors won't stop the door opening from growing, they will just slide on the strikers.