• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lighting Under the Bronco For Night Runs

66horse

Bronco Guru
I was thinking it would be cool to put some lights in to light around the wheels for night runs. Anyone ever done this?

If so tell me about it. What did you use? What did it cost? How did you do it?

Thanks!!!
Steve

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
you mean neons? hahaha I am pretty sure it wouldn't be to hard I know they some some KC type lights with magnets and you coul just wire up a water proof disconnect and then stick then under nearth when needed and pull them back off when you want...its that what you are asking?

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I haven't done it or know anyone who has but I think that one of the best lights to buy for this application would be those cheap 15 dollar lights they sell at the Farm supply stores. The one's I've seen seem pretty tough with acrylic lenses and rubber coated steel housings. I don't think you could go wrong with those. You might even see if the lenses could be changed out with red ones so you don't loose your night vision. On the dash it might be cool to run another headlight switch.

4x4Alaska

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
I run two of the rubber housing lights in the rear. Just run on a toggle on the dash. I use them as reverse lights too...you can kind of see one of them in this pic...no close-ups sorry..I'm going to put a couple under the rockers too eventually

Attachments

• 622172SIDEDRIV-med.jpeg
    622172SIDEDRIV-med.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 174

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
we call these rock lights. Placed under the front fenders. and the rear quarter pannels. Use the cheapest lights you can find. I like the rubber coated idea.
Aaron

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
4x4Alaska said:
I run two of the rubber housing lights in the rear. Just run on a toggle on the dash. I use them as reverse lights too...you can kind of see one of them in this pic...no close-ups sorry..I'm going to put a couple under the rockers too eventually

Quick Highjack!

4X4Alaska, why wasnt this rig posted for the calender? Very nice rig!

66horse, I have seen the lights like mentiond above "from tractor supply" mounted under the bumbers that were used for reverse lights however I suppose they could easly be mounted to swivel and shine under the rig. Seems like stuff flying up from the tires would be rough on them though.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
It's not a new concept. Jeepers have been doing it for years... I'm suprised at the overall lack of response here.

At any rate... Yes, it has been done. Many times in the past.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I've got some cheap bling-o lights that I got from Harbor freight for ~$7 per pair, they're pretty small (popular with folks around here who insist on blaring the accordian music...) mounted to the frame up out of the way for mine. Need to get the rear ones installed. They shine down on the tire path from the opposite framerail. You could also mount them to the crossmember as well.

teqoso

Loc.
walnut creek,ca
I am installing a cheap white neon under my rig to use as rock lights. I am also installing some small cameras at the rear and front corners to provide some visual confirmation when a spotter is not available. I will include some photos after I get them finished and the car is out of the body shop. THe cameras are cheap little "lipstick" cameras that I got from a friend. Something similar can be had thru J.C. Whitney or Radio Shack.

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
SACHEM said:
I haven't done it or know anyone who has but I think that one of the best lights to buy for this application would be those cheap 15 dollar lights they sell at the Farm supply stores. The one's I've seen seem pretty tough with acrylic lenses and rubber coated steel housings. I don't think you could go wrong with those. You might even see if the lenses could be changed out with red ones so you don't loose your night vision. On the dash it might be cool to run another headlight switch.
What do you mean you dont know anyone who has? :cool:

Attachments

• rock light.jpg
    rock light.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 166

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
You want trapezoidal lights. Tractor lights work great for this In fact, Walmart sells some that are perfect. I think they call them utility lights and they run about $7/ea. They throw a nice wide beam. I run them front and rear on mine and they make a huge difference, especially in places like the Hammers where you often get caught on the trail at night.

OP
OP
66horse

66horse

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the ideas everyone! This is good info. And the pics for the ones that posted them.

Keep any more ideas coming.

Steve

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the neon (yes, neon) lights and the L.E.D.'s in small sockets (for the red look as mentioned). They're pricey, but easy to tuck up and out of the way and use less energy if you're using them for utility lights with the engine off.
But it's hard to beat the utility/flood lamps for price and reliability. They're typically fully sealed, even without the rubber cushion/protective housing around them. And at the price (especially the WalMart price), it's not so traumatic when you waste one on a rock.
Most of them run about 35watts each, put out a nice broad pattern, and are pretty easy to mount. The ones mxpaz has look particularly easy to mount in a nice protected area. Nice going on that one. Do they put out as much light as you would like?

Paul

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Mine are the ones from wal-mart. They work really well. I only have two right now, but I want to add one in the front and one in the back.

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
teqoso said:
I am installing a cheap white neon under my rig to use as rock lights. I am also installing some small cameras at the rear and front corners to provide some visual confirmation when a spotter is not available. I will include some photos after I get them finished and the car is out of the body shop. THe cameras are cheap little "lipstick" cameras that I got from a friend. Something similar can be had thru J.C. Whitney or Radio Shack.

The cameras make for a great setup for offroading solo. I'm gonna go through my other computer and try and pull the pics of a guy in Houston's Unimog. He put cameras in each corner with a screen in the cab. Really clean setup, and very functional as well.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Where does one find the cheap white neon lights? I would think they would give a good glow to see the rocks and only take a minimal amount of space along the frame rails.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
mxpaz said:
Mine are the ones from wal-mart. They work really well. I only have two right now, but I want to add one in the front and one in the back.

Your are the driving/fog lights though. I used to have a set, but the problem is that they throw a very yellow light and are a little too narrow of a throw. THose are like $14/pr though and since they are so small, you can mount them just about anywhere.

One thing everyone needs to remember is that because EBs use the round headlights they actually stick out a little in front of the grill and throw light straight down as well as in front. So, you really don't "need" lights up front. I run my lights in back of the body mount under the door and aim them backwards. The ones in the rear are installed in front of the shackle and are pointing forward and another set. This keeps the tire from blocking too much light.

70bucks

Loc.
Valley Center SOCAL
Hey 66 horse let me know what area of town are you in and I'll send you to the closest equipment supply house. Go in find out for sure what you want and I'll put an order on our account. You can just pay cash at the counter when you pick e'm up. Been a while since I've purchased any, but if my memory is right the rubber type are around $10. Those things hold up really well to the abuse they get on the equipment and seem like they last til some @ss hole kid takes e'm out with rocks.

Good luck,

Joe