• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lights at night

t2jeff

Loc.
Playa Del Rey, CA
surfed last night till dark, warm water, great sunset, great surf (hurricane swell), everything was clicking. Then, when I thought it couldn't get any better, my gauge lights worked for the first time on the drive home. I love it when things work without fixing them!!!<br><br> ;D ;D ;D

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
[quote author=americanhorses link=board=5;threadid=8492;start=0#60457 date=1030550773]<br>I've been waiting for my gas gauge to start working again ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Your gas gauge actually worked at one point, Lucky.<br>I stop and fill up every hundred miles or so just in case. With only one tank thats all I can do.

Addink

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I figured out how mine worked a while ago, after driving around without gauge lights for something like 8 years :mad: I hit a bump when turning on my head lights, and accidentally twisted the knob. On came my gauge lights! I never knew you could turn that knob ::) The whole time I thought it was a problem buried in the rats nest of wiring under the dash. Doh!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
[quote author=Addink link=board=5;threadid=8492;start=0#60485 date=1030556208]<br>I figured out how mine worked a while ago, after driving around without gauge lights for something like 8 years :mad: I hit a bump when turning on my head lights, and accidentally twisted the knob. On came my gauge lights! I never knew you could turn that knob ::) The whole time I thought it was a problem buried in the rats nest of wiring under the dash. Doh!<br>[/quote]<br>LOL!!! ;D

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
I think we all have a story or two like that to tell<br>at one point when I would tuen on my blinkers all my lights would blink can you say short

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Some prick before me thought the exhaust pipe was as good a place as any to tierap the rear wiring harness. Left blinker flashed the backup lights, and I had no backing lights. So A few hours of severe swearing and some wire work, my correct lights performed their designated tasks.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Addink link=board=5;threadid=8492;start=0#60485 date=1030556208]<br>I figured out how mine worked a while ago, after driving around without gauge lights for something like 8 years :mad: I hit a bump when turning on my head lights, and accidentally twisted the knob. On came my gauge lights! I never knew you could turn that knob ::) The whole time I thought it was a problem buried in the rats nest of wiring under the dash. Doh!<br>[/quote]<br><br>LMFAO<br><br>the worst is when its almost all the way dim and you panic cause you think something is shorting and taking all the power.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
My freakin gas gauge bounces around. Like someone/thing is repetatively turning the ign. switch on and off at regular intervals, "up, down, up, down, up, down......"
I fill up every 100 miles too, just to be safe...

By the way, we have no waves here on LI east coast..
flat as, welll, flat.....
Fell in love with Pismo last year when I went body boarding on vaca... how hogh were waves???

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
speaking of lights, is this dim stealth mode with the headlamps normal? my headlamps give off this nice warm yellow glow, kind of like a flashlight just before the D batteries die. I mean<br>they work, but they ain't no halides. I put new sealed beams in, same thing. Is this just another of the endearing traits of my favorite rig?<br><br>Oh yes, and how do you change the turn signal dash lamps? left works, but the right died. Up behind the dash is the only place I havent stuck my hand, and with something this old....well you know...maybe I should just live with it, all the other gauges and lights work.<br><br>

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
[quote author=dpm77 link=board=5;threadid=8492;start=0#60849 date=1030652130]<br>speaking of lights, is this dim stealth mode with the headlamps normal? my headlamps give off this nice warm yellow glow, kind of like a flashlight just before the D batteries die. I mean<br>they work, but they ain't no halides. I put new sealed beams in, same thing. Is this just another of the endearing traits of my favorite rig?<br><br>Oh yes, and how do you change the turn signal dash lamps? left works, but the right died. Up behind the dash is the only place I havent stuck my hand, and with something this old....well you know...maybe I should just live with it, all the other gauges and lights work.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Turn signal indicator lights in the stock gauge cluster are not to hard to get to...if you just pull the whole thing out of the dash(Takes 4 screws, and some careful manipulating of the wires. Then you'll see there are several light sockets in the back(6 in all I think) they are the old twist out the plug, and the light bulb is in the plug. I had to replace all the bulbs in my dash when I first got it. You may also have to clean up the contacts with some emery cloth or a wire brush. Headlights dim sounds like either a grounding problem or corroded wire.

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
[quote author=WyleCoyote link=board=5;threadid=8492;start=0#60852 date=1030652431]<br>[quote author=dpm77 link=board=5;threadid=8492;start=0#60849 date=1030652130]<br>speaking of lights, is this dim stealth mode with the headlamps normal? my headlamps give off this nice warm yellow glow, kind of like a flashlight just before the D batteries die. I mean<br>they work, but they ain't no halides. I put new sealed beams in, same thing. Is this just another of the endearing traits of my favorite rig?<br><br>Oh yes, and how do you change the turn signal dash lamps? left works, but the right died. Up behind the dash is the only place I havent stuck my hand, and with something this old....well you know...maybe I should just live with it, all the other gauges and lights work.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Turn signal indicator lights in the stock gauge cluster are not to hard to get to...if you just pull the whole thing out of the dash(Takes 4 screws, and some careful manipulating of the wires. Then you'll see there are several light sockets in the back(6 in all I think) they are the old twist out the plug, and the light bulb is in the plug. I had to replace all the bulbs in my dash when I first got it. You may also have to clean up the contacts with some emery cloth or a wire brush. Headlights dim sounds like either a grounding problem or corroded wire.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks Wyle. corrosion is almost guaranteed, lord knows everything else is rusty. Ill chase the ground. What I worry about with the instrument cluster is that everything works now, with the exception of that one bulb, and I do not want to screw something up and have a headache on my hands. I guess all I can do is go slow and be careful. Thanks again<br><br>Dan

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=Addink link=board=5;threadid=8492;start=0#60485 date=1030556208]<br>I figured out how mine worked a while ago, after driving around without gauge lights for something like 8 years :mad: I hit a bump when turning on my head lights, and accidentally twisted the knob. On came my gauge lights! I never knew you could turn that knob ::) The whole time I thought it was a problem buried in the rats nest of wiring under the dash. Doh!<br>[/quote]<br><br>LOL

Trevor

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
[quote author=J-DUB link=board=5;threadid=8492;start=0#60458 date=1030550897]
[quote author=americanhorses link=board=5;threadid=8492;start=0#60457 date=1030550773]
I've been waiting for my gas gauge to start working again ;D
[/quote]

Your gas gauge actually worked at one point, Lucky.
I stop and fill up every hundred miles or so just in case. With only one tank thats all I can do.
[/quote]
Well crap that means your odometer works. I fill up about every 2 weeks (short drive to work). I can keep track of every two weeks because my calendar isn't one of my Bronco's gauges :) :D ;)
I think I threw my gas gauge away. About a week after I bought my Bronco, I took all the interior out in order to apply a spray in liner . I found a piece of metal about three feet long about 1/8 diameter with a 90 degree bend at one end for a handle. I threw it away and I think that is the last I saw of my functional gas gauge.
The guy also wrote notes on the inside of the hardtop like when he put a bull in a pasture and what fence was down.

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
when i first bought mine only thing that worked was the headlights and 1 taillight. :-U took one look under the dash and ordered a centech wire harness. ;D when i pulled the old harness it was mostly pieces of old extension cord and some old lamp wire.it was so stiff and brittle you could hold it out about 4 feet .needless to say now everything works. ;D

Draper69

Loc.
Oroville Ca.
Well just ran outside and twisted the knob for the first time. What a shocker. thanks for the revalation..what a dumbsh*t I am........

alsroadster

Loc.
Sandia Park, NM
I think all my lights work, but the right front turn sig and right turn indicater in dash cluster are intermittant. Right rear works all the time. Oh and license plate light doesent work, wire broke. My guage lights will work but I was screwing around under there and broke the fuse. Got a 4 amp fuse from NAPA (yersterday) but was too long to fit. Have't tryed anywheree else. I like all my lights to work, kinda anal that way. Working on Hella H4 and relay headlight setup. That should shed some light on the subject!