• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lincoln lockers up front for my dana 44 is this a good...

broncoinsane

Loc.
southeren michigan
well i got my but kicked all over the mud holes last weekend by this 800$ 8tysomething yj 4cy. lincoln locked front and rear 31 inch tires....
i have a trac lock in the rear but was thinking on welding my front,i have lock out hubs so daily driving wont be a problem?does any one recomend this or should i just wait longer and get a detroit locker?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
If you only do straight line stuff weld away. It will hinder maneuvering on any surface. If you ever do snow/ice on the road you will absolutely hate yourself for doing it.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
if you only use the front end for mud and slippery stuff it would prolly be ok. If you try to use the front axle on anything dry it will be hard to turn and most likely break parts like u-joints and axles

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Weld it up till you can afford a Detroit. You wont be able to turn worth a crap but who cares.

G

[quote author=MXPAZ link=board=5;threadid=20125;start=0#msg154601 date=1058408972]
You wont be able to turn worth a crap...[/quote]
...if you lock both hubs. A LL/spool is fine on ice in 3WD. ;)

jeff71sport

Loc.
Tacoma,WA
[quote author=SteveL link=board=5;threadid=20125;start=0#msg154655 date=1058413078]
turning is for people with stock bumpers.
[/quote]

LOL Steve

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Compromise (I hate doing it) but a lockrite will let you turn, sometimes.
They are a lot cheaper then a Detroit, and easier to install. A little less permanent then the Lincoln too.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The only lockers I would ever use in the front are the ARB, the Ox, or an electric like the new truetrak or one pirated off those Kick-Ass Mercedes that some folk make fun of. They have electric rear and center diffs too, all stock.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
8) 8) 8) It is not a good thing to do in the front or rear the heat of welding bugger's the steel of the gears and makes them easier to brake and that can cost a lot $$$$ if you don't care go for it . ;D ;D ;D Bill ::) 8) :p

74ranger

Loc.
wilkeson, washington
[quote author=wildbill link=board=5;threadid=20125;start=0#msg154806 date=1058458907]
8) 8) 8) It is not a good thing to do in the front or rear the heat of welding bugger's the steel of the gears and makes them easier to brake and that can cost a lot $$$$ if you don't care go for it . ;D ;D ;D Bill ::) 8) :p
[/quote]
make sure to pull the axles out away from the carrier. when we finally broke an axle it was near the splines where the heat had weakened the axle shaft. weld it!