• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Line-x or Rhino Line??

rbodine

I am considering putting one of the aforementioned protective coatings on the interior of the 69 project I have started. The interior is basically rust free at this point, free of holes I mean, it does have some surface rust and pitting. (the bronco came from New Mexico).
I wanted to get people opinions on how this is looked upon. Does it lower the "value" or perceived value of the bronco. Do people think you are trying to hide something? I am going to go with, probably with an original blue exterior can they tint these products, if so what are your thoughts on int floor colors..standard black or off white like original?
Thanks, in advance.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I went through the same decision with my '69. I opted for Rhino as it goes on alot thicker and provides more insulation from heat and sound than Line-X. It's also alot easier on the touch ie; rubbery, not gritty. My tub was rust free and I wanted to keep it that way. Only thing I recommend is make all your metal modifications first! It is a bear to get off... Looks good, works great and is easy to clean after hitting the trails. As far as value, depends on what you're going to do with your rig. Trail/ daily driver I'd say it brings the value up. Complete showroom resto, would bring it down as it's not "original"... If you plan to do anything with your rig other than drive it from show to show or display it as a museum piece I say go for Rhino lining.

My $.02...
Fungus

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
I'm going to try roll-on

Settled for MonstaLiner and will be applying this weekend - Its suppossed to be 40 mils thick after two coats (thickness of a dime) - Will post pics for those do-it-yourselfers that may be thinking of this route.

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
I've used Line-X and do it yourself SEM's. On the Line-X 1 is black and the other is orange. They were all a good product. If you're not sure about doing it yourself I would recommend Line-X any day.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Fan of line x myself. A matter of opinions. Either would do the trick for ya

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I am considering putting one of the aforementioned protective coatings on the interior of the 69 project I have started. The interior is basically rust free at this point, free of holes I mean, it does have some surface rust and pitting. (the bronco came from New Mexico).
I wanted to get people opinions on how this is looked upon. Does it lower the "value" or perceived value of the bronco. Do people think you are trying to hide something? I am going to go with, probably with an original blue exterior can they tint these products, if so what are your thoughts on int floor colors..standard black or off white like original?
Thanks, in advance.

I think a lot of owners use it to cover up problems. What is wrong with paint?

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

I think a lot of owners use it to cover up problems. What is wrong with paint?

I agree with you about some covering problems, that is why I posted the question to get others opinions. I live in Florida and was assuming that the aforementioned products would protect from rust better than paint, besides the floor does have some surface rust and pitting that I would like to cover.

Thomas H.

Loc.
San Diego (N.County)
line-x #1 PO had it done in 1996 still looks great and if you treat it with stuff I think it looks good not to mention the sound / heat improvements.

ive seen rihno wear out quick in foot well areas and it's a pain to look clean.

line-x always looks good

77broncoguy

Loc.
Grand Rapids, MI
gotta go with line x as well. I have it in my 77 and love it. Rhino is a good product, don't get me wrong. I've never had it installed in a Bronco, but did have it in the bed of a truck and it got soft and gouged easily when it got hot from the sun. jmo.

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

DSC00039.jpg

Bituman

Loc.
Phoenix Mtn Preserve
I have both

I have Rhino in bed of my pickup and Line-X on underside of Bronco and also from firewall to tailgate. Both are good products. I did the Line-X on the Bronco because it tended to be a smoother finish and I thought it would not show dirt as bad underneath. Here's pics of underside and floor, both Line-X. Recently Rhino began installing a "sandpaper" finish that is exactly like Line-X. But most Rhino products though are the thicker, rubbery material. It does seem to have superior sound and insulation capabilities. I hear a lot of opinions about quality of Line-X compared to Rhino. In my experience, if you get a good installer, then they are pretty much equal in terms of quality.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_2029.jpg
    IMG_2029.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 95

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I agree with you about some covering problems, that is why I posted the question to get others opinions. I live in Florida and was assuming that the aforementioned products would protect from rust better than paint, besides the floor does have some surface rust and pitting that I would like to cover.

Why do you think it protects, from rust, better than paint? I can see it protecting the floor but why do owners paint wheel wells and quarter panels? The stuff is sort of permanent.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
If you are doing it right, you are not covering up anything. I stripped mine, did all the metal work, epoxy primed the inside of the tub and painted the rest. Then I LineXed the inside of the tub up over the rails and tailgate,rockers,lower part of inside the door and bumpers. I did it because I like the look and it does not scratch as easy as paint. There's a lifetime guaranty if you mess it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0251 [].JPG
    IMG_0251 [].JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0249 [].JPG
    IMG_0249 [].JPG
    135 KB · Views: 54

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
No personal expeience with either product.. However, on your perception question.. I tend to be much more suspicious of a Bronco with spray in liner, anywhere... I've seen several that were just coated to make em look pretty... If you look close or touch them, the rust behind it crumbles.. If its done right, I dont see an issue. Would like to do it myself, but, only on on side for the sound deadening properties.. If I were to be building to sell, I'd pass... A buyer would much prefer to see the real vehicle and any flaws than some lipstick.. Plus, I couldnt immagine fixing rust under a liner..

JMO..

OP
OP
rbodine

rbodine

Why do you think it protects, from rust, better than paint? I can see it protecting the floor but why do owners paint wheel wells and quarter panels? The stuff is sort of permanent.

Good call blu! Honestly I was probably thinking of durability as well as rust preventative, being that it wouldnt chip or scratch as easily I think...

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
Take pic's of the floors,etc. BEFORE you have it lined & save it on an SD card.Cheap & easy! Do close ups w/ good lighting to ease the mind of any future owner & to back yourself up:cool:. I too get suspicious whenever I see an EB coated inside,ESPECIALLY the bottom of the doors+ kick panels. Personally,I'm going to line just the bottom of the tub & paint from the wheelwells up on mine & if later I want it to look more original,I'll put a factory style rubber mat over that.Pierr.

Nickrp

Whats it cost?

Whats it cost to get the inside lined? Im looking to line the inside of the 67 we are picking up next weekend? whats the average cost? I plan on having a shop do it not myself btw.